1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

semcintyre
My wife tossed the key to my motorcycle  I'd prefer to just pop the tank off, and take it to the locksmith, as opposed to loading the bike and hauling. Do any of you know with certainty that the tank and the ignotion use the same key? The locksmith said it's possible, but some ignitions have a couple more waffers. Thanks all!!

Shawn

Re: 1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

A lot of times the gas tank can be opened with any Honda key. The locksmith I use can go off the code on the ignition switch if it has one. I would just pull the ignition switch and take it to him. They are not hard to remove. If it is on the triple tree, you just remove the headlight, and then you can reach the two bolts holding it on.
TOOLS
P.S. Are you filing for divorce?

Re: 1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

semcintyre
Lol! Not yet. I can't confirm she's the culprit yet, but never let your wife clean the junk drawer "catch all" drawer.

I'll give that a shot, thank you. I appreciate the guidance. I took a quick look, and it appears there may be more than two bolts involved. I'll follow up once I get in there more. I'm admittedly not mechanically inclined, so there's a lack of know how on my part, for sure.

Thanks again!

Shawn

Re: 1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

SophieMorris
If talking about the key, any locksmith can make it easy as once i lost my car ignition keys and 24 hour car locksmith near me has made a new ignition key. So, yes depending upon a locksmith is definitely a good idea.

Re: 1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

ScilverKnight
I stuck it into the ignition and can't take it out even with the lockpicking tool, Either i contact a locksmith or there is some other way to take the key out.

Re: 1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

AdamLyth
For getting the car keys i had chosen a locksmith near me and they made the same key at a very reasonable cost.

Re: 1976 Honda CB500T Tank and Ignition Key - Same??

MaryBrock
I prefer to replace the whole lock instead of making a new key by hiring a local locksmith.