1979 Cb750

750Diamond

Hey guys, this is my migraine making motorcycle, so I just bought her last year, got a great summers riding out of her. In the winter I took her apart to do some adjusting, clean the carbs all the good stuff. So I put her back together  a month ago and I noticed when she idles she slowly starts to die and when I took her out for a ride my rpms were so high it was like cruise control was on. Whenever I grabbed the clutch the rpms would increase to about 5000. Cracking the throttle brought it back down to the normal 1100, also braking then downshifting would keep the rpms down when I pulled the clutch. So I was thinking maybe a vacuum leak, found a tear in one of the air boots. Replaced those, still having this problem. Recently discovered that I have an exhaust leak coming straight out of my engine, I've ordered new crush gaskets and new sets of the joint pipe collars. You guys think this will fix my problem? Or is there something deeper?

Re: 1979 Cb750

Exhaust leak will not affect the engine running, you still have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Re: 1979 Cb750

750Diamond
Thanks for the respond, I've tested for a vacuum leak before but I wasn't getting any kind of response to my tests.  Time to get back in it and find that leak.

Re: 1979 Cb750

The WD-40, carb cleaner, starting fluid does not always show the vacuum leak. Sometimes they are inside the carb. Check all the rubber components in the carb.

Re: 1979 Cb750

750Diamond
Well shucks, that's probably the problem then, I rebuilt a rack of carbs that had been sitting around for years so I probably missed something. My other carbeurators had 2 jet needles that were stripped on top. You think drilling those out with reverse threads would work without damaging the carb?

Re: 1979 Cb750

Not if you are very careful about it.

Re: 1979 Cb750

750Diamond
Last question, a vacuum leak inside of the carbs, what exactly am I looking for, missed rubber o ring? There just doesn't seem to be a lot inside..

On Jun 5, 2017 4:25 PM, "TOOLS1 [via Vintage and Classic Honda's]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not if you are very careful about it.

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/1979-Cb750-tp4062350p4062356.html
To unsubscribe from 1979 Cb750, click here.
NAML

Re: 1979 Cb750

That or one not fitting properly.