1981 CB750k chain help

steve6163
I'm new to motorcycles, so this CB750k is my first ride.  I've only had it for two days, and I know nothing about bikes, but yesterday after some reading I saw that my chain is way past the safe zone as far as tension....and it's got lots of rust.  The bike runs like crazy, sounds great, is smooth, etc....but this chain is probably beyond help.

I have a service manual coming in the mail, but I think I'm going to go ahead and just put a new chain and new sprockets on this bike and be safe about it.

That's where the questions start.....what do I look for?  From what I've read, an "o-ring" chain is best.  Okay, but which one, how many links, what kind of sprockets?  And where can I find any of this (or other parts)?

Thanks.

Re: 1981 CB750k chain help

steve6163
I bit the bullet and let my local Honda dealer order sprockets, and I'm buying an o-ring chain and letting their shop do the work.  Anyone have any experience with "Bike Master" brand stuff?  That's the chain I'm getting.....after which I'll be flooded with warnings to never buy Bike Master parts, right?
TCM

Re: 1981 CB750k chain help

TCM
Hi steve;
I need a chain too.  For a 1980 CB750k.  It looks like you're at least one step ahead of me.  I'm still trying to find what size of chain it takes.  Could you tell me the size (probably 520) and the number of links that it takes?

Thanks

TCM

Re: 1981 CB750k chain help

steve6163
Well, the parts guy at my local motorcycle dealership looked it up in two different books, and he told me I need a 530 chain, and one book said 106 links and the other said 108.....so I got a 112, just to be safe (and new sprockets, of course, for the new chain to ride on).
TCM

Re: 1981 CB750k chain help

TCM
Thanks for the info.  My sprockets are in remarkably good shape especially considering their age.  The teeth aren't sharp at all.

I'm looking at an RK chain from Chaparral Motorsports.  RK's 530XSO at $.69 per link is rated for 750-1000 cc motorcycles.  I realize the CB's 4 cylinder 4 cycle engine has lots more torque than the typical 750 so I'm trying to leave a little wiggle room as far as specs are concerned.  What do you think?

TCM

Re: 1981 CB750k chain help

steve6163
 That must be a good choice, because that's the chain I bought two days ago (haha), the RK 530 GBXSO (the gold version), but I got 120 links, just to be extra safe on the count.  I couldn't tell you a thing about it, because I'm a car guy - this is my first bike, and I'm in love with it already.  What a runner!  I'll be learning bike stuff along the way, but I'm already impressed with the way this bike is geared.  It doesn't want anything to do with 1st-4th.....it wants 5th, right now, and a wide open road.