1982 CB750SC Nighthawk Resto

TheDrummer212
I recently traded a pit bike for this Nighthawk. Since I only had $100 into the pit bike, I essentially got this for that much. The guy I got it from had gotten it on trade, and knew pretty much nothing about it, except that it cranked over fine. Not horribly promising, but for such a low price I figured why not. As far as I know, it has sat in a field for at least 5 months. Here are some pictures from when I got it.

Just under 12k original miles.

Problems it came with:
-Didn't run
-Smashed right side mirror
-One emblem falling off
-No brake fluid/brakes
-No title

First thing I did was remove and clean the four carburetors. In the process I found there was no air filter in the dirty airbox. I put the carbs back on the bike and cranked it over. Still nothing. I decided to take off the gas tank and flush out the rust-colored gas. Also found a clogged fuel line. Replaced that and the bike started right up, but there is a steady flow of gas out of the overflow tubes. More updates to come soon.
-------------------------------------
82 CB750SC Nighthawk project

Re: 1982 CB750SC Nighthawk Resto

I think you made a pretty good trade.

Re: 1982 CB750SC Nighthawk Resto

Pretty sure whatever was in the fuel tank is not in the carbs, but you probably already know that. Clean and synch them puppies and you'll be golden.

Nice score man.

Re: 1982 CB750SC Nighthawk Resto

Whatever problems you might have, it looks like you have a good base to start from. And hey, you can always toss in cb900 cams!

Re: 1982 CB750SC Nighthawk Resto

TheDrummer212
shinyribs wrote
Pretty sure whatever was in the fuel tank is not in the carbs, but you probably already know that. Clean and synch them puppies and you'll be golden.

Nice score man.
Yep that's what I meant :P

I'm brand new to the motorcycle world. I've fixed up small engines and worked on cars, but this is actually my first bike. Any small tips or tricks would be appreciated. I've never synchronized carbs before. Is it something that definitely needs to be done, or just might need to be done?

Anyway, I got a new front brake reservoir/lever/master cylinder since the old one was smashed. Not too bad for $28, seems well built. Still have to get brake fluid to test.

Took apart the carbs again to trace down the overflow problem. None of the floats are stuck and appear in good shape. Not sure if the needles are sealing though. I found the drain screws were sort of rusted and pitted, and the seals around them were destroyed, so I decided to replace them just to be safe. Haven't re-tested to see if the carbs still overflow yet.

Also, the little rubber plugs inside the carbs. I'm missing one, so I ordered a new set. Only problem is they're a bit small and don't stay in place. Anyone know where I can get the right size?
82 CB750SC Nighthawk project