76 homemade cafe

dave Esch

This is my 76 750k. I love riding with my Harley friends most because when they are with me their expensive chrome ponies get no attention at all. I just spent the winter prettying this bike up. The PO washed it with black paint. Everything was covered... emblems, badges, chrome, engine, everything. I had the tank powder coated and redid the wheels myself. The 750 badges were the worst since all the black had to be removed and then the white paint inside the numbers. What I did was stripped it completely, used a precision screwdriver to remove the remaining white paint from inside the letters. I then purchased a bottle of hobby enamel. With a toothpick I filled the numbers, drop-by-drop. Once they were about a third full I let them spin on the washing machine. This evened the paint out and even brought it up on the inside edges. They are like new. I absolutely love this bike. If I ever sold it, I would need way more than its face value to part with it.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

DesignBuild
great lookin bike man, love the finned covers.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

DesignBuild
also, did you make your headlight visor or buy it? i've been looking for a good one for awhile.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

dave Esch
Actually headlight came with the bike. PO told me it was off a Harley. However he also made a few other false claims about the bike, so who knows. I have not taken the time to look for a manufacturer logo on the light. I do know that J&P sells different styles of visors. Here is a link for one such universal visor I found in my catalogue. Hmmm.... Looks a lot like the one I got.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100388

Re: 76 homemade cafe

a4x4spit
that bike looks cool  and I know they atract alot of attention
fun lovin criminal Traverse City Michigan

Re: 76 homemade cafe

fpcb750er
Great bike! I'm in Ohio also, Cleveland, and have a 72 750, just got it running again yesterday!  Are you close?

Re: 76 homemade cafe

dave Esch
Yeah I am close. I live in Painesville Township. If youa ren't familiar it is about 25 minutes east of Cleveland past Willoughby and Mentor.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

fpcb750er
I just posted my pics, we'll have to try to get together for sure.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

pat english
looks good.got that ratty look to it.dont know if i like the drag bars though.i got a set for my bike but i just dont really like the way they look.how do they feel though?(i guess thats more important)

Re: 76 homemade cafe

dave Esch
I really like the way the drag bars look. But to be honest, they force you to lean forward, putting a lot of pressure on your left wrist. I would bet that bent bars would feel a lot better, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Not on this bike. It rides as hard as it looks.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

pat english
dave Esch wrote
I really like the way the drag bars look. But to be honest, they force you to lean forward, putting a lot of pressure on your left wrist. I would bet that bent bars would feel a lot better, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Not on this bike. It rides as hard as it looks.

are you talking about some drag bars with a lil more pull back?im sure that would prolly be more comfortable,and its not really a big deal to change bars right?

Re: 76 homemade cafe

dave Esch
I was actually referring to the factory handlebars. My neighbor has a 99 Triumph that he redid and the bike has a real throwback look to it. He put the bent drag bars on his bike and took them off within a month. He said he felt he lost a lot of feeling of control while turning. Now his bars actually bent downward, putting more of the riders weight on the wrists and reducing the turn radius of the front wheel (the bars hit the tank a lot sooner). While I would probably prefer the factory feel, it just wouldn't look right on this bike. Eventually I would like to purchase a bike I can ride for distances, but for now, I limit myself to shorter rides. And, yes, swapping out the handlebars is a pretty easy task.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

pat english
yeah i think youre right.youre bike does lookpretty good(throw some shiney paint on that bitch though ).which bike is that in youre avatar pic?

Re: 76 homemade cafe

dave Esch
The avatar pic is the same bike as shown above in this post. I just painted it since this pic was taken. I went with matte black on purpose. Love the way it looks on a salty bike such as this. I think shiny paint would neaten its crotchity and cranky looks. Not a bike for sparkle and sheen. But thats just me.

Re: 76 homemade cafe

pat english
rite on.