Aftermarket generator rotors

Jimboslice
Anyone know a decent aftermarket rotor on the makrket for 79-82 cb750k? Is this a common problem for these to go bad?
1982 cb750k
If it aint broke. Fix it till it is

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Those go bad all the time. It seems like none of the manufactures could make decent electronics in the late 70s-80s. Ricks motorsport is supposed to be good. I have had good luck with these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrosport-Industries-Stator-Honda-CB650-CB750-CB900-ESG210-86-4056-344106-/331435814084?fits=Model%3ACB750F&epid=655599443&hash=item4d2b1d2cc4:g:C7IAAOSwc0FUqK6k&vxp=mtr However every Caltric one I have used has went bad.
TOO:S

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Jimboslice
So i got my new rotor today and will atempt to get the old one off today. Ive been soaking it in 50/50 atf kerosene but neglected to purchase the removal tool. I plan to pick up a bolt to use but they are only 30mm long. I know its a m18x1.5 pitch but how long does it need to be to contact the crank?
1982 cb750k
If it aint broke. Fix it till it is

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

I do not know off the top of my head, but I know that an axle can be used, so I doubt that the threaded part needs to be very long. I am sure that you know to just snug the bolt up and then whack (the bolt) it with a hammer to jar the rotor loose.

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

How did your brushes look when you inspected the old rotor?

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Jimboslice
Brushes looked good and checked out ok with the multi meter. I may smooth them out a touch with some emery cloth on a granate block. I really dont want to risk the axle so i got the only m18x1.5 that is 30mm long got a few washers to help protect the crank also.
1982 cb750k
If it aint broke. Fix it till it is

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Good call on the axle.

I only asked about the brushes because they have a service life. If they wear down too much they can dislodge/expose springs that can chew up the rings on the rotor.

I'd venture to say that the rotors in these bikes aren't all that prone to failures, provided owners don't let the brushes run out. Most pics you see online looked gouged up.

Good luck, man.

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Jimboslice
Thanks shinyribs.
Just got home from work to find my order. They sent me a throttle sleeve instead of my rotor. So im going to be waiting a while longer before i can ride again
But the old rotor came out fine with the bolt i picked up. I guess ill make the wife happy and mow the lawn for now.
1982 cb750k
If it aint broke. Fix it till it is

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

A throttle sleeve?!

lol ... I'm sure that made your day.

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Jimboslice
well they said I could keep it and they sent me an "upgraded" ricks rotor.  that should be in tomorrow knock on wood.

I decided to check my ignition timing and points gaps while I was waiting. darn Phillips screws wont budge with my impact screwdriver, but that's a problem ill face when I move to a dyna ignition
1982 cb750k
If it aint broke. Fix it till it is

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Points? You should not have any points.

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Jimboslice
 oops my mistake. though im sure I would have realized that if I could get the cover off lol. (or done a quick search through the service manual)
1982 cb750k
If it aint broke. Fix it till it is

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Jimboslice
so I replaced my rotor and the bike was charging at 14.56 volts at 5000 rpm. took it for a ride and after a few miles (about 15 min at 55 mph and 4000 rpm) the throttle no longer increased rpm and if I let off it the bike would stall.
I did notice that the battery wasn't charging. I checked my reg/rec and found that one of the diodes had failed. would a failing reg/rec cause this situation?
1982 cb750k
If it aint broke. Fix it till it is

Re: Aftermarket generator rotors

Yes it would.