Axle removal

Griffin
Picked up a 1980 cb750f rolling chassis to swap wheels over and swing arm to my 1980 k model. Started today but ran into trouble pulling the rear axle out. It slides out right until about the threads hit. What am I missing? It stops there and I don't want to force it.
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Axle removal

Whoever installed it last probably did not grease it. Try working it back and forth while applying PB Blaster. It should eventually work out.

Re: Axle removal

Griffin
Thanks! I'll give that a try.
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Axle removal

Griffin
Worked like a charm!
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Axle removal

Griffin
Of course now the front one is stuck. I can't get the bolt loose.
I have 22mm wreck on this side and a 17mm wrench on the other. Sprayed Pb blaster on it. Did some tapping. Even tried hitting the wrench with a hammer and it won't budge. It is supposed to come out like a normal bolt right? Lefty loosey and all that?

I don't think the speedometer housing comes out without taking the axle out. I suppose I could leave the axle in if I could get the speepo housing off and the left rotor. Trying to break it down to paint the rims. Thoughts??
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Axle removal

That is the way they come off. Sometimes they do not want to budge. Try smacking the end of the nut with a hammer a few times. That might jar it and let the penetrating oil work in. Last case resort, use some heat.

Re: Axle removal

Griffin

Still no luck. I used a heat gun to get it too hot to touch, hit the end several times, hit the nut several times, then put the wrenches back on and hit it with the hammer several times. I wish I could brace it somehow so I could pull on the wrench with both hands. I tried inserting a 2x4 so the smaller wrench would hit that but it was too much of an angle to work. Also tried a deep set socket on a breaker bar but the socket wasn't deep enough.

Can I cut the end off and use another one? There is still one in my K model. Not sure how I'd even cut it though and I wouldn't be surprised if the that one is just as stuck. Guessing I could find a good used one.

Oh well all part of the fun.

It has pb blaster all over it. I'll try again tomorrow. To be continued...

On Mar 20, 2016 12:58 PM, "TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is the way they come off. Sometimes they do not want to budge. Try smacking the end of the nut with a hammer a few times. That might jar it and let the penetrating oil work in. Last case resort, use some heat.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Axle-removal-tp4059812p4059841.html
To unsubscribe from Axle removal, click here.
NAML
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Axle removal

Go to the hardware store and get a cheap propane torch. You have to get it to where it is too hot to touch.

Re: Axle removal

Griffin
You were right again.  The torch did the trick! I got the axle out this morning.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Axle-removal-tp4059812p4059848.html