Beginner question..

MarkPBG
What's the difference between all the models…C…K…F….SS…etc. Is there an identifier in the VIN that tells you what you're looking at if you don't know by sight? I have so far discovered that a K tank has the smooth gas cap door over the filler. I that true for every year K model, or just older ones? Just curious. :)
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Beginner question..

K is the standard, F, and SS  are the Super Sport, and C is the Custom. the 69-76 K had the chrome fuel cap sticking up in the middle of the tank with a latch. The A, F, and later K's had a fuel door. There is not realy anything in the vin to discern the models on the earlier bikes.

Re: Beginner question..

MarkPBG
Yep, I figured that's what the letters stood for, but I still have no clue about the actual visual differences in the models. I think I found out some more, the F model had the tail section that blended into the seat more than the K, without the chrome grab bar, and had a taillight at the back of the tail, rather than up on the fender…right?
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Beginner question..

Yep. It was kind of a Cafe Racer.

Re: Beginner question..

                          1977 F2 SS                                        rear cowl

               more like a mudflap