Charging system weak

joefoster
1981 CB750C - I have replaced stator, rotor, rectifier/regulator, battery, starter solenoid (a previous owner REMOVED the fuse and hard-wired the solenoid), and I have inspected and clean all connectors to which I have access - the battery is STILL not charging. The highest voltage across the battery while running is 13.0 volts at 6500 RPM. Every test I have tried returns expected readings. It eventually drains the battery. I am at my wits end here - anyone have other suggestions or thoughts? I tired of working and not riding.

Re: Charging system weak

Have you had the battery tested? I have seen this from practically new batteries that were bad.

Re: Charging system weak

joefoster
I have - it was 13V when I installed it

Re: Charging system weak

You need to have a load test done. Just because it shows 13.4 volts does not mean it will have amps.

Re: Charging system weak

joefoster
The bike does start easily and runs, it is just not charging. Can you help me understand what a load test would tell me about the battery?

Re: Charging system weak

What it basically does is tell you if the battery is capable of properly taking a charge and holding it. I have seen batteries with 13 volts that would be dead after a few seconds of cranking, cause running problems, and even make electrical systems act weirdly. That is why the first thing to check is the battery. If it is not the battery I would suspect the reg/rec, or wiring, especially the grounds. I once had a bike where the owner had installed a new regulator and had run the ground wire to the plastic airbox. Since the plastic airbox does not conduct electricity it did not work. I had another one where they did not have the wire to switched 12 volts run correctly and the system would not work.

Re: Charging system weak

joefoster
I have since had the battery load tested and it passed. As for the grounding, there was not separate wiring for grounding, only the wires in the connectors. I have verified all connectors/connections and everything is correct. Each individual part I have replaced passed their respective tests. Starts, runs , just doesn't charge.

Re: Charging system weak

Then one of the new parts must be defective. I would start rechecking them.