Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
1982 Nighthawk CB750SC. So I pulled the carbs, cleaned the jets and put them back on. Now it wont start. Getting gas from petcock but the inline fuel filter isn't filling up with gas, even when its cranking over. It ran before but was bogging with the choke off at 4k rpms. What am I missing? I didn't mess with float levels or anything. It does have the Spawn of Satan Ive been reading about but it ran before.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

If the gas is NOT going into the fuel filter, which should be between the petcock and the carbs, adjusting the floats would not do anything about the gas not getting to the carbs. Obviously your petcock is not allowing gas to pass through it.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
That's what I thought as well, but I disconnected the fuel line and gas pours out from the petcock outlet.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

Is the fuel line obstructed?

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk

It wasn't yesterday when I took them off but I'll check. A friend is bringing his IV bottle over tomorrow.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 4:53 PM, TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S]
Is the fuel line obstructed?

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Cleaned-Carbs-Now-Not-Getting-Fuel-tp4060098p4060106.html
To unsubscribe from Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel, click here.
NAML

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

Sounds like stuck needles. Perfectly cleaned needles are often clingy in their bores. Dunno why, but they'll stick. A little fuel keeps things lubed up. Some cleaners leave a little residue behind.

Give 'em a tap with a screwdriver handle and see if they knock loose and start allowing fuel to come in.

If fuel is coming out of the tank, and coming out of the line, then the needles are the next valve they need to pass. Ain't nothing else in between.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

He is not getting gas to the fuel filter. He could hit the carbs with a sledge hammer, and it would not make a difference.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
Fuel line is clean. No blockages.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:17 AM, TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S]
He is not getting gas to the fuel filter. He could hit the carbs with a sledge hammer, and it would not make a difference.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Cleaned-Carbs-Now-Not-Getting-Fuel-tp4060098p4060117.html
To unsubscribe from Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel, click here.
NAML

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
So, I got it running with starting fluid and it started pulling fuel BUT its not getting fuel to the right 2 cylinders. I pulled the bowl drain screws and no fuel is coming out.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
Today I removed the SOS (Spawn of Satan) and got it running on fuel but its still only running on 2 cylinders. I was able to remove the two right carb bowls while the carb rack was still on the bike and was able to verify that the floats move freely and are not stuck. The bowls had only a few drops of fuel in them.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
So I blew some compressed air into the fuel line and am getting three bowls to fill now and am still not getting the 4th bowl to get gas. I removed the float and seat and its all clean, I can feel air from the compressor coming out the bottom of the carb so its not blocked. I'm lost.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

motogrady
Administrator
The Spawn of Satan complicates things..........I check my 79 by leaving the float bowls off and turning
petcock on, rags underneath to see if I have flow.  No vacuum to Satan blows that method.

You could get a plastic ketchup bottle, like they have in a diner, the refillable one with a kind of nozzle
on top and get around Satan that way.  If you have the bowl on4 off, and squeeze some petrol in the
Fuel line that is disconnected from the petcock, and show fuel flowin into the carb and over the hanging
floats, maybe check the small vent brass overflow tube that sticks up from the bottom of the bowl.
And the vinyl tubes that hook to the bottom of the bowl.
Might have a kind of air lock when you install the bowl, nowhere for the air to go to let the fuel come in.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
I already removed Spawn of Satan.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

motogrady
Administrator
Cool.  If fuel then is not flowing with petcock open and bowl off its gotta be a clog in the fuel tube that feeds all 4 carbs from rubber fuel line.
Fuel flows with bowl off and petcock open, but not with bowl on,  it's gotta be a clogged vent.

Remember, the slides only lift on vacuum from motor.
Pump the throttle all you want with the motor off, those slides, and needle valve ain't moving a bit.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
When I blew the air into the fuel hose, I felt the air coming out of the bottom of the carb when I removed the bowl. So I don't think its clogged? Also how do I access the fuel line between the carbs? Do I have to separate them (GULP!)?

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

motogrady
Administrator
never had to get em apart to clear a tube, looks like the carbs have to come off the rack, hassle for sure.
I wouldn't even go there yet, especially since you have air coming thru.

Is fuel running out onto the floats with the float bowl off and the floats hanging down?

If so, it's overflow tube or rubber hose off the bottom of the float bowl I'd be looking at.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
No. Not at all.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

motogrady
Administrator

I'd pull that set of floats on 4, and the float valve, and blast  100 psi back into the fuel tube that feeds all 4,
With a rubber hose that will seal tight against the float valve seat.

Got to be something in there.  A glob of gas turned to varnish, something.

You gotta walk away from it for a day or 2, walk away from it for a day or 2.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

JonnyNighthawk
All fixed. A friend of mine took it and had it repaired for me.

Re: Cleaned Carbs, Now Not Getting Fuel

Matthew1025
Hey man I’m having the same problem with my bike, what did they do to fix it? What was the issue.