Damn Bees!

Beekeeper
I've kept bees for most of the past 50 years.  The new diseases, pests,  along with the GM crop outfits, are making it very difficult to keep them alive, and difficult to produce much harvestable honey.  I began to think that maybe the breeders were partly responsible, because they were selecting for gentleness, calm when handled, and basically breeding the instinct to survive out of them.  So I decided to try some bees from an outfit that I heard had good bees but were a little defensive.  They are doing pretty well, and I opened them up for inspections today. (5 colonies on the patio so I can keep an eye on them)  Getting stung is part of the game, and I effectively became immune to the swelling decades ago,  but these bees hit like a rattlesnake.  I took a sting this morning on the back of my ankle, and it is driving me crazy.  It's not a systemic reaction, and I'm not shocky or anything.  But my damn leg is about twice normal size from the knee to my toes.  And sore!!!  I have the circulating fan on, and the air movement hurts!!  The ex called and wanted me to do something for her, and I told her about my leg (in order to get out of it).  She told me I was turning into a wimp in my old age!  Always good to have support!

Re: Damn Bees!

Hoosier Daddy
Were the new ones Africanised by any chance?
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / CafeĀ“
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: Damn Bees!

Beekeeper
The aggressiveness is a dominent gene, and it's damn near impossible to breed it out.  In the past, when I have had super aggressive bees, I crush the queen, and introduce a new one from calmer stock.   But  I'm not seeing the mass stingings like africanized bees.  There are always some angry bees in your face.  And these follow you a long ways, which is a pretty aggressive trait, but africanized bees will cover you up.  I started an immunosuppressor for RA, and I'm wondering if it is making the stings from this strain more severe.  You can become hypersensitive at any time of your life,  but my real worry is about my neighbors.  Bees don't like certain vibrations, harmonics, (like lawnmowers and weedeaters) and if these bees follow the typical trend, the stronger the colonies get, the more aggressive/defensive they will become.  I would like to watch them a bit longer, because they are making honey, and they start early and work late, but just can't risk it.  To the outyard they will go and I'll just have to drive out when I want to check them.

Re: Damn Bees!

Lucky 1
Time to see the doctor!!!! Wow
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Damn Bees!

Truck
This is an allergic reaction. Try an antihystamin like benadryl.  Should help with the swelling and inturn help with the pain.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Damn Bees!

Beekeeper
It's not an allergic reaction.  Allergic reaction would involve swelling of the throat or tongue, causing labored breathing, and eventually loss of consciousness.  Or possibly a systemic reaction, where a sting on the arm results in severe swelling in another part of the body.  Swelling from an injected venom is natural and often confused with allergic reaction.  I do have an eppy pen, and in an emergency situation I took close to 150 stings before I could get my gear on.  I was fine, and have never used the pen, but I have used benadryl, and give it to my dog when she gets stung.  This caught me off guard because I haven't had anything worse than a mosquito bite type welt in many years.  I'll be talking to the Dr next week about this reaction.

Re: Damn Bees!

Just last week I was working on a rooftop unit on a local restaurant. Come to find out that the owners/operators of the restaurant had an apiary. I bought some local honey from them (Crys has bad allergies) and talked with the for a long time about their bees. I learned sooo much and it was really very interesting stuff. I hadn't even noticed about the decline in bee population til I talked with them. Then it dawned on me that I haven't ran across the first bees nest this summer. Which is rare with air conditioning equipment. I hope it all gets better soon. Man,we need bees!

BTW,how's the leg?

Re: Damn Bees!

Beekeeper
I agree, bees are pretty important.  And it used to be so easy to keep and maintain them, build them up, add colonies, etc.   I would encourage everyone to buy local produced honey.  Most of the honey at the supermarkets comes from brokers, that blend different qualitys, colors, and origins.  You don't hear much about it, but lots of honey comes from China, and more than a little has been found to be contaminated by chemicals.  But they have a trick.  They ship it to some country, repackage, change country of origin, and slip it through.  I prefer most of the water white honeys, but I can eat gobs of orange blossum too.  Homemade bread, peanut butter, and slathered with honey.

The leg is pretty much back to normal.  The swelling seemed to work its' way down and had a fat ankle, but it's all good now.

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: Damn Bees!

Beekeeper
Clover is a very good honey, and I agree, delicious.  I was into trying to produce some boutique honeys for a premium some years ago.  I was invited to move some bees onto a lavender farm, and it produced a very aromatic and fine honey.  But I mostly just make wildflower honey.  Much easier not having to keep everything segregated.