First Project 1980 CB750c

AnEnormousPanda
Hi all, thought i'd introduce myself considering I'll probably be coming to ya for advice often. Just picked up a 1980 CB750c the other day. It is my first bike/project ever so I'm kind of stumbling backwards through the whole rebuild process but loving every minute of it. That being said any advice you'd be willing to throw a nooby would be much appreciated. Currently working on rebuilding the carb's and cleaning the frame before hitting it with some paint to cover some surface rust spots. Some of the pictures are a little old now but i'll get some current ones up asap.

Thanks, Geoff/AnEnormousPanda

Re: First Project 1980 CB750c

Piute

    As your cleaning up use some of that rust coverting to prime stuff (turns blk. also)were needed like most welds just use a lil model type paint brushcouple coats then later youcan do the same with can paint by spaying a bit into the cap and dipping the brush again .This is all I did to my frame and can't tell,When time comes for powder coating less to strip.

Re: First Project 1980 CB750c

myTUNES
If you want to clean your carburetors without breaking the bank down to the individual carburetors, I would buy a High E acoustic guitar string from a music store, and a can of carburetor and throttle spray. You are going to want to shoot a good spray into primary main jet, secondary main jet, primary slow air  jet, air cut off feed, air bypass, primary main jet, slow speed jet, float valve seat, accel pump feed hole, pilot screw hole, and secondary main jet. Then run your E- string though the slow speed jet making sure it is clean; it should go down and 1 ½ in from the top of the tube. After you have cleaned these, you will want to wrap tape around your carburetor and throttle spray straw to make a tight fit into the slow speed tube. Hold a thumb over the primary main jet hole a finger over the low air cut off hole and spray. If the hole is clear you should get a spray out of the pilot hole. Also, make sure your accel pump on carburetor #2 is not clogged. I make the accel pump action on the tube coming through the carburetor with a little gas in the bowl.  You should get a squirt of gas out of the brass square on top. There are many other things to check, look for, and clean that make a good carburetor cleaning and rebuild, so I will add the link that I feel helps everyone who has ever tried to clean the carburetors for a DOHC CB750.  Follow the directions and you should be fine. You might need to get 8 new screws for the choke plates if you decide to break the carburetor bank, they usually are not reusable. Sweet bike and welcome to the forum, also check into bypassing the air cut offs and getting new O-rings at least.

PS: I agree completely with Piute, your taste and effort will change over your build. Minimalist changes to appearance and more changes towards maintenance and performance is the best way to go. Don’t let me persuade you though. I rushed into painting my frame and motor and the minute a little gas gets on it I want to cry. lol It wont stay perfect unless you don’t touch it again.

http://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/SeanG/Honda_Carb_Manual_revE.pdf

Re: First Project 1980 CB750c

Welcome! Looks like you're already off to a good start. Glad to hear you're enjoying your project. Getting one going for the first time is a lot of fun.

There's a bunch of knowledgeable guys around here ( I'm not one of them) so ask away and I'm sure you'll be able to get your questions answered.

There's a search bar on the top right hand of the homepage. If you can't find what you need in there someone will help you out with the rest.

See ya around the forum!

Re: First Project 1980 CB750c

seestheday
Nice looking ride. Looking forward to how this progresses.

Oh, and Lol at Shiney not being knowledgeable.

He may not not have intimate knowledge of a dohc, but he he knows the social bikes well and has years of experience building race cars and working in a speed shop.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: First Project 1980 CB750c

Piute

   AHA,
  He's a politician now.

Re: First Project 1980 CB750c

Hoosier Daddy
Welcome to the funhouse Geoff! Theres a good bunch here. You jumped right into it I see.
I am in the middle of a CB750 C model little spit-n-polish myself, mines an 81.
You hit a snag, ask away. Somebody here will chime in.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!
Baz

Re: First Project 1980 CB750c

Baz
Nice man, how's the project? I just started my first same 80' 750C.
Baz
"Life is just for living"