Got my computer of of wireless router!

Lucky 1
My channel(network was using 100% 6 gigabytes!!! capacity 24/7) the last 4 days and I could hardly use my computer it was so slow.

When I found out someone was hogging the wireless channel I bought a 50 foot RE5 internet cable 50 feet long and started drilling holes. Then I got a box that can utilize two computers on one modem and my computer is very fast and snappy again.

I was unable to get password protection on the IBM style router because when I bought it ,it said it was for a MAC but the disk would not work on my computer so I could not set it up with password protection.

I am so glad to be rid of that wireless crap.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

Good! Now go back and view all those videos that used to trouble you!LOL

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

MarkPBG
I love my wireless. Let's me surf on the phone without using data, and i have an older iPad I can carry anywhere to watch the security cameras. Love the WPA2 encryption (fairly easy to hack) on my router, but the hardware firewall box is just icing on the cake. It would take a fairly sophisticated hacker quite a bit of time to use MY wi-fi without permission, PLUS I have the router set up so that it only accepts throughput to and from certain MAC addresses on my equipment. Add to that the fact that my wi-fi snooper app shows at least 5 neighbors with easy to hack WEP routers, two of which are not even secured!
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

Lucky 1
I think I will.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

wpa2 isnt that easy to hack, especially if you use aes and 128bit, or greater, encryption. It CAN be done but takes some time and packet sniffing. Unless a person had a good hiding spot, you would see them. Only issue is apartments but you can almost always find people not securing!
MAC filtering helps but can be spoofed. Not broadcasting your ssid helps a little too.
I also avoid getting extended range routers, that way a person would need to be in my driveway to detect my signal.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

MarkPBG
There are tools becoming available that have GREATLY decreased the effort needed to crack WPA2, here's just one...http://lifehacker.com/5873407/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wpa-password-with-reaver
But, yes, aes with 256 bit, SSID hidden, MAC address limiting is also using port limiting. NOt sure if that helps but some really computer savvy network building friends said it would.
The exterior walls of the house are painted with a natural, no VOC organic clay based paint that also just happens to naturally block many radio frequencies, including my cell. I had to get a cell re-transmitter set up to use it indoors the stuff worked so well. Bad thing about that is, I can't wi-fi on my back porch unless I am in front of the patio doors. lol
Not worried about anyone getting any  personal data even if they got in. Documents and stuff are stored on external hard drive which is not even connected when I'm online. Only my programs are on the main drive.
Every little bit helps with all the thieves out there that don't want to do honest work for a living.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

cdaiscool
MarkPBG wrote
[...]
Where do I start...

Any home-based wireless network is easy as fuck to crack. Pardon my french here, but it's laughably easy.

For a project at school, I had to break into wireless set up. MAC address filtering, hidden SSID, WPA2 PSK, 256-bit encryption.

Cain and Abel can break the encryption, if you have a password file you can run through it QUICK. Yes, you can be secure with a 30-character random letter/number/character password, but short of that you're not really safe.

I force you to disconnect using a program, you automatically re-connect, I capture your handshake. I then cause a lot of these to happen, which causes me to get a lot more of them. I can then find out what your secrets are.

It's scary how easy it is. Yes, more difficult, but still easy.

Having the paint stopping the signals is awesome! That's precisely how to do it. Otherwise... I can get in.
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

cdaiscool
Oh ya. I can use a program that masks/changes my MAC addresses to match yours. Guess how easy it is to get your traffic if you are wireless, and I'm on the network with your MAC address?

Look up a LiveDVD called Backtrack. LOTS of tools.
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

Lucky 1
I am blown out about all this computer geek lingo.
All I want is to be able to use my computer and not get cheated.
I dislike hackers but I like the words like "packet sniffer".

When you hackers make a computer that cannot be hacked, you will be a billionaire.

On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

I just had CDA and Hellbilly help me de-virus my computer.All hackers,virus spreaders, and the likes are welcome to visit me...at home...24/7

HAHA    Mark --->

(I've been waiting to use that one...)

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

Well unless you have enterprise gear, there is only so much you can do. Even then, security guys are constantly monitoring their networks. So I do not worry about it much. There is no point in being paranoid about it. If it is going to happen, it will happen, all you can do is make it slightly difficult.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

MarkPBG
That's what I've been reading and hearing lately, for at least the last two years it's been easy for the somewhat computer technically hacker literate. I don't know how, But I do know you can't hack a signal if you can't receive it, thus, the special paint. I'm planning on adding their exterior coating next year. It's got the anti-radiation (radio signal) properties and also has a small percentage of UV blockers which can help it last 20 years! I like the idea of only painting every 20 years (likely 10 in FL due to the harsh sunlight).
I'd love to put some jammers in the yard, but the FCC frowns on offensive use of electronics.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

cdaiscool
Lucky 1 wrote
When you hackers make a computer that cannot be hacked, you will be a billionaire.
They will be working for the NSA.

Did you know you can't really hack the FBI? Because their equipment is beyond ancient? They use the first-gen 8-something inch floppies. It's relatively atrocious.
[...]

Jammers are legal, if you are using them for defense. So make sure the power's down low and not bothering the neighbors. Of course, I've been up for around 20 hours after 3 hours of sleep, so I might be wrong.

You're right, the signal has to be broadcasted to you to see it. Whether it's broadcasting the SSID or not, it still has to reach out to you. That's by far the easiest and best way to protect your network.
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

Piute

                           all man ya all a bunch of geeeeksss,heard thats the latest trend

                                I'm going back to silicon valley
                                             NOT

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

cdaiscool
I'm going to AA.

And it's not for my alcoholism.

Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

Taking off MC hat, putting on Cisco Systems hat.  I've been some sort of network engineer for the last 15 years.

I agree with a great deal of cd's comments.  Routers live to route, switches live to switch, and wireless routers live to connect wirelessly.  Recovery of lost connections is very high on the wish list for these devices. Uptime is king.

Needless to say, the trick is how to maintain that connectivity percentage, while at the same time discouraging the unwanted connections. Reducing power to just barely cover your house is a good start.  Using WPA2 will also slow them down. MAC address filtering works for a while, until they figure out which MAC addresses work.  Turn off the SSID broadcast. Go wired connection if you don't need wireless: it's faster and more secure.

You cannot keep the unwanted off of your network forever, if you run wireless.  Thieves are inherently lazy, so if there are enough things to slow them down, they usually give up and hit the next WAP.  However, some see the traps as a challenge, and get determined.

Hmm...there should be some motorcycle content in this message somewhere.  "HONDAS RULE!"  How's that?

No wireless now-no problems.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

MarkPBG
The best way to secure your wireless network is the exact way I am, do ALL of that, AND have neighbors lazy enough to have OPEN networks! Thieves are lazy, like you said, and with such nice targets next door that are MUCH easier to access, why would they waste time on mine? lol

I wish I knew networking, i just read articles on the stuff and do what it says pretty much. :P
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Got my computer of of wireless router!

samir_nayanajaad
Also after reading that life hacker article, DD-WRT doesn't support WPS (the part of WPA that Rever exploits to crack the password) and its free to download and install if your router is on the supported list.  DD-WRT for the win!
Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to god one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
12