Handlebar vibrator, cb750

gardobe
Hi all,

I bought a 1992 cb 750 and experiencing some vibration on the handlebar grips; particularly on the trottle side. My right hand starts to go numb after about 30 km. It is a high frequency vibration pretty much the same accross the entire rpm range. The engine runs smooth, tried to add extra weight at the end of the handlebar, helped abit but problem still exist. Any recommendation, idea what to try?
I have heated oxford grips, love them, do not want to replace them with gel grip or similar.

Thank you

Re: Handlebar vibrator, cb750

At what speed and rpm are you experiencing this? your gearing might be too low. Another thing might be a loose motormount bolt. However, since you mention it is mostly in your right hand, I wonder if you might have a medical problem like a pinched nerve. I had the same feeling in my hand when I pinched a nerve in my neck.

Re: Handlebar vibrator, cb750

gardobe
I mostly travel around 80-100 kmh with 3-4000 rpm, 5th gear. I checked some of the motormount bolts but I will go through all of them this weekend.

My right hand may be more sensitive however I do not think that I have a medical condition. I believe that the vibration is slightly stronger on the right hand side, maybe because of the extra throttle pipe on the handlebar. The pipe is quite a close fit, not much play on the handlebar.
The handlebar must be original, has weight inserts inside at the end. I tried to remove them because I wanted to add some extra weight, like led shoots, but I could not. They are quite jammed in the bar. Is there any special process I should follow? I used a bolt, a pair of pliers and a hammer. Maybe a bigger hammer... Would the led help? Any experience?

As far as the gearing, it is not a bad idea, particularly that the bike is 25 years old and I have no idea what gearing it has. I will check it over the weekend and let you know.

Is vibration an issue with this bikes from the early 90's? I searched the net but it does not appear to be.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards

Bert

On ‎Friday‎, ‎18‎ ‎May‎ ‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎46‎:‎55‎ ‎AM, TOOLS1 [via Vintage and Classic Honda's] <[hidden email]> wrote:

At what speed and rpm are you experiencing this? your gearing might be too low. Another thing might be a loose motormount bolt. However, since you mention it is mostly in your right hand, I wonder if you might have a medical problem like a pinched nerve. I had the same feeling in my hand when I pinched a nerve in my neck.

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Handlebar-vibrator-cb750-tp4063354p4063355.html
To unsubscribe from Handlebar vibrator, cb750, click here.
NAML

Re: Handlebar vibrator, cb750

Vibration has never been a problem with these inline four engines. I do not think they were adding weight to handlebars in 92. The fact that it is only on one side is what has me stumped. Mechanically that should not happen.

Re: Handlebar vibrator, cb750

I hear/read about a lot of guys having this issue with only their right hand, on many different types of bikes.

I think it's easy to subconsciously grip the throttle tighter than what we intend to, especially on those old CB's that have a stiff throttle anyway. If you can force yourself to loosen your grip, and you will have to actively think about it, you may see that the problem goes away. Not an easy task with a stiff throttle. It was nearly impossible with old SOHC bike. You had to grip the throttle hard to have enough traction to twist it. Then I discovered ProGrip's model 714 grip. Very good at absorbing vibrations but, best of all, very grippy. I could keep a light grip on the throttle and still have traction to twist it. Easy $12 cure.

But you mention Oxford grips. I have them on my FZ and they are a very large grip. That alone causes me problems. Then Oxford makes their grips out of a very hard material. They do a great job of making heat, but they really need to overhaul their grip design. They are the worst grips I have ever seen...unless it's cold out.   But really, try a looser grasp on the throttle if you can. And also make sure your glove on that hand isn't creasing in an odd way and causing a pressure point. I've been there before.

Re: Handlebar vibrator, cb750

gardobe
Yes i heard about progrip but i wanted to keep my heated grips. I will see how i go and may give a go. Thank you for your advice.

On Fri, 18 May 2018 at 3:11 pm, shinyribs [via Vintage and Classic Honda's]

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Handlebar-vibrator-cb750-tp4063354p4063358.html
To unsubscribe from Handlebar vibrator, cb750, click here.
NAML

Re: Handlebar vibrator, cb750

gardobe
I checked the front sprocket, it is 15T stock sprocket. Has anyone tried 14T for more torque? I think the US version Nighthawk has 14T.

Mine is an Australian model from 1992.

For the vibration issue I will probably try a different grip as one of you guys suggested.

cheers

Bert

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Handlebar-vibrator-cb750-tp4063354p4063357.html