Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

kar1zma
This post was updated on .
Hello guys

Next up in our project looks like will be the CDI
Our mech msgs us saying the CDI burnt and is leaking
Wierd!!!!

So in any case what to do now
Should I go for a stock unit or get the Dyna 2000 kit
And be done with it

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

If he is talking about the two spark (igniters) units, it is common for them to look burnt/melted. However most of the time they still work.

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

kar1zma
Hey tools
I reattached the pics since they weren't showing earlier

So these two units are the ignitor units
And not the CDI

Is there a difference between the two ?
I'm sorry I'm not very informed .

Our mech was saying the he started the bike and it was misfiring so he found these burnt units .

Where do I find these units to purchase and
Is there a better modern aftermarket product to upgrade to

Thanks

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

That is common for them to look like that. They are the same, so you can swap them side to side to see if the misfire moves to the other two cylinders. If it moves, then one is bad. If it does not move then you have a different problem. If Honda does not have them, I would suggest ebay. Also, a low battery voltage or bad wire connections can cause misfiring on the DOHC bikes.

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

kar1zma
Tools,

We have a lazy mech . I forwarded your comments
And he replied back saying " get new ones "

So new ones it is !

But could u explain what these are for me
Is this the CDI or part of the CDI or are they the ignition coils
Or what exactly . Did the 79 cb come with a CDI man I'm so confused
I tried to Google but couldn't find any proper information

Should I get a dyna2000 ignition kit as a replacement
Our bike is going to be all stock .

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

Get a new mechanic.

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

kar1zma
hahahaha i wish
this guy seems to be the most dependable of the lot

but on a serious note
should i replace the ignitor units or new dyna CDI for longevity and reliability

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

You know there is not much you cannot do on that bike yourself if you have the factory service manual, which you can download for free from our manuals thread here. I would figure out if it is indeed the igniters bad or if it is something else. If an igniter is bad I would just replace it. However, I do not know how your parts situation is where you are at, so you might want to go with a new Dyna system.

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

kar1zma
This post was updated on .
tools

if u may remember the bike is in india so everything needs to be ordered
thank you for the manual reference
i will download it

i did find this on anothersite

"Those units are called OKI's or 'spark amplfiers' and are in two versions. With the red crimper and with the black crimper.
Honda made the first ones with black crimper but later started a new batch with red crimper. The reason for that is that the black ones started to leak out. Not because they got hot, but because they got old. I have a lot of those OKI's lying on the shelf and some start to leak out of nowhere. The black muck is just deteriorating. A friend of mine is working on solid-state units and will go online with them. I'll report when that time comes. For now, you need to source new ones, preferably with the red crimper, as they're the newer type. Oh and and smoke is short, no doubt"

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

Honda calls those parts "spark units". They call the system transistorized ignition. But yes, it basically functions as a CDI. It already is a solid state system. There are no mechanical breakers like in a points system. The pulse generator inside the engine is a magnetic breaker and the spark units prevent those pulsers from seeing voltage. Points wear out because the voltage arcs across the points when they open and close and eventually erodes the points away. This system won't do that since the spark units disconnect the pulsers from the ignition coils. I would heed Tools' advice and not buy new spark units unless the bike won't run. Seriously doubt you need new ones.

The black stuff is simply a weatherproof media (mostly likely epoxy of some sort) used to seal the inner components. If it's "leaking", just clean up the wet stuff and and smear some silicone over it to keep everything inside weather proof. You'll see a similar coating on the back of any voltage rectifier / regulator.

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

kar1zma
shinyribs

thank you for the advice
our mechanics says he tested them with a multimeter and current
wasnt flowing proper

well im at a loss . we really dont have exprienced mechanics for these bikes in india

i did  send him the comments from this forum and he just says buy another set.
i guess ill find a set on ebay

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

I refer you back to my previous post. Swap them side for side and see if the problem moves to the other cylinders. This will tell you if they are bad or if you have another problem.

Re: Help 79 cb750 burnt CDI

Well, if you do buy new ones do not let your mechanic throw away the ones you have now.