Homemade muffler using stock parts

I put my new(to me,thanks Tools!)4 into 1's on the bike and liked the look of it so much without the muffler that i hated to use it with the muffler.It was a little too loud with just the header on there,so i came up with this idea.Now,if you are going to be riding two-up,this might not be the best setup for your passenger so ...

First remove the factory baffle and cut about yea much off

I then turned it around to reverse the direction of the scoops.This was my plan for helping to reduce the effectiveness of the factory baffle to make it a little louder than stock.It worked.Now,take what was the inner flange and cut it down to fit inside the header, but leave two ears so you can bend up two tabs for mounting purposes.

Then i turned up a few of the louvers on the opposite end to help locate the baffle in the center of the header tube.I left them a little long and bent them not quite 90 degrees so that it would wedge itself tightly inside the header.

And thats pretty much it.I sunk the baffle in the header about an inch to help it be a little less noticeable.Drilled a hole and popped a little stainless steel machine screw in.

Now this setup is fairly loud.With the header alone,and no muffler at all,the exhaust had a real raspy sound to it that i didnt care for.This cured that but didnt do alot of silencing.I would say that is quietened it down about 30% compared to no muffler at all.Its loud,but almost as smooth sounding as the factory setup.I am very pleased with the results,not to mention just plain lucky that it actually worked out ok.Plus i like the look of the bike with no tail pipe on it,just the short header.Kinda racy looking,and it eliminates the need to hang and support a muffler.Just thought i would share another hair-brained idea with you.

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

Pretty neat. You could try warping some steel wool, or fiberglass around the baffle. That might quite it down some.

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

THAT is a great idea!Thanks man

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

Hence, the term "Glasspack".  Cherry Bomb mufflers back in the day used to have various amounts of fiberglass wrapped around the baffles.  As it got older the 'glass would break and get blown out, leading to increased volume.

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

Yeah,we use to hit 'em with a torch and a hammer to help speed up the process.

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

Daddyman
Well done!  Your bike is lookin great so when is the road trip to the coast goin to bePick me up on your way!
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

Here is an article on quieting mufflers with different techniques.  Scroll down towards the bottom for information on using fiberglass stove rope.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/vhbagger_shhh.htm

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

cityslicker
Cool man, the bike looks great.

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

Ok,update on the muffler after riding it for 115 miles today.A little too loud.Fun in town with all the plate glass windows,but gets a little old cruising thru the mountains.Except for the rock faces...that sounded nicePlan B coming soon.

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

sgtslag
Have you ever ridden a bike that was really quiet, or have you ever ridden with ear plugs?  The noise sounds great, but, like you found out, it really wears on the body after a while.  I started wearing ear plugs a few years ago, and I was amazed at how relaxed I was, without the noise!  I encourage everyone I can, to try at least one ride, with ear plugs in.

You might be surprised...

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

loud is / can be disturbing
  But a great running engine can be music,different sounds echoing of the hill sides,you'll learn to block out
 most if needed as you hear the rivers and birds ,your mind has the freedom of using all your senses,smell seems the strongest walnut trees,corn,apples,ocean,some-ones B-B-Q

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

BBQ haha!You are right Sarge,a couple times on some long down-hills,there is one spot about 2-2 1/2 miles that you can just coast,i knocked the bike out of gear and it was almost silent.You couldn't hear the engine at all over the wind rushing inside my visor-less helmet.It WAS very relaxing.If it wasnt for the tach, i woulda swore the bike had cut off.But,it is nice to hear it roar when you want.Ear plugs sound like a good idea.I wear them when i race the car,helps me to ignore the other car and concentrate on what im doing.Im gonna have to try that tomorrow

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

TOOLS1 wrote
Pretty neat. You could try warping some steel wool, or fiberglass around the baffle. That might quite it down some.
TOOLS
I just noticed that i never updated this. I used Tools steel work trick. Like I said earlier,the baffle quietened it down about 30% of no baffle.Adding the steel wool quietened it down about another 30%.Pretty effective stuff for $4.Worked good.Tools is the man,again

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

That is a really nice looking 4 into 1, you got there. I need something like that, for my Buffet racer.

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

No take backs!!!!

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

seestheday
Sarge, I second the ear plugs.  I already have hearing damage from when I was in a punk band.  I want to hold off on the hearing aids for as long as I can.  I wear ear plugs almost every time I ride.

I'm going to get some custom made ones fairly soon, just have to get myself to a hearing clinic (they're covered under my work health plan, so it's silly not to get them).
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

sgtslag
Custom is the way to go!  Wore foamies for a couple of years:  hurt after two hours...  Custom plugs begin to ache after 6+ hours.  My wife and I will never go back to foamies -- we pay for them out-of-pocket, and they are worth every penny.  Cheers!

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

Rusty Spokes
Nice bike Shiny! Leave it the way it is, loud pipes save lives, lol, I had cars waiting for me at the stop sign because they heard me coming but not see me.  on the cusom plugs, if you guy's get bored listening to nothing, these homemade custom plugs with headphones work great!! http://youtu.be/lmk-y_9exJ8 Sgtslag, surprise your wife with these

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

I pulled the steel wool out today and replaced it with some 'glass. It was not the kind mabe for mufflers,but just matting for fiberglass repairs. I had the woven mat type,not the scrambled hairy looking stuff. I wrapped kinda tight and am wondering if it would have muffled better if it was a little looser in the baffle? Either way it DOES quieten a fair amount better than the steel wool. Under hard acceleration the noise level is pretty much the same,but cruising in town and on the highway the exhaust note is quieten enough now that you have to really listen over the wind to hear it.It also took out a lot of the popple I was getting when I would let off.Not all of it,but most of it.Enough that I am not pulling in the clutch on long downhills anymore.

Thank Rusty, that link was great. I really want to do something like that. I have a hard time getting my earbuds to stay in when putting my helmet on sometimes. I wonder where you can get that putty?I saw the brand name Radians on it.On the hunt...

 Awesome idea!  Loud pipes save lives-gotcha. I'll ride behind you and let you clear the way for me

Re: Homemade muffler using stock parts

ksharp
fuck that thing is comming along eh lol looks sick
12