Honda CB500T - Rear Shocks - Opinions?

semcintyre
Hello,

I'm looking at buying some rear shocks for my CB, and curious what your thoughts are? Keep in mind, the budget is low. I see some on Ebay ranging from $60-90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251973001570

What mm should I get? Seems they range from 320mm all the way up to 380mm. Keep in mind I have not modified the front forks, and am going for a brat style.

Thanks,

Shawn

Re: Honda CB500T - Rear Shocks - Opinions?

I know people that have those shocks on their bikes, and do not have any complaints. You would have to be a really experienced competition rider to know the difference between them and the Ohlins that they are made to look like. I know one guy that put Ohlins stickers on his, and no one has been able to tell that they are not Ohlins. However on a personal preference note, I do not think gold anodized aluminum looks right on a vintage bike.

Re: Honda CB500T - Rear Shocks - Opinions?

semcintyre
Thanks! Good to know! The price is right, so that's good.

I agree. Forget which link I posted, but I'll end up going with black. Rims are getting powder coated black, as well as the trimmed front fender, etc.

What about the length...or does that not really matter? Btw, going for a tracker/brat style conversion.

Here's what I'm going for.

Re: Honda CB500T - Rear Shocks - Opinions?

semcintyre
Still have a lot of work to do...trimming the frame, mounting seat, new dirt bike bars, gauges, and eventually headlight. I know many pull the whole bike apart to powder coat the frame...not doing that. Have a 5 month old, and no time. Just going to do what I can with a rattle can.

It's in the shop now, getting carbs cleaned, points adjusted, and tuned. We'll see, fingers crossed nothing major comes up.

Can't wait to ride!!

Re: Honda CB500T - Rear Shocks - Opinions?

Either length shock will work, you just need to have the bike sitting at the height you like, and measure the distance between the shock mounts, and order the length shock closest to your measurement.

Re: Honda CB500T - Rear Shocks - Opinions?

gareth06
Hagon shocks are a good alternative to stock ones.