Honda Key Code

Cabreco
Hey all

My 1981 CB750K only has one key (a scary thought) & trying to make a key locally is proving to be a PITA.
As a last resort I am going to look online. Would the stamped number on my OEM key be the key code, or do I have to get the number from the ignition or helmet lock?

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: Honda Key Code

any good locksmith shop should be able to make you a key from your OEM unit.  When I got my 79, it cost $2 per key, and took about 5 minutes.  Local hardware stores may be able to do them, but if not, find a locksmith shop.

To answer the second part, yes they can cut a new key given your OEM code on your key.  It'll be easier if they just copy what you have now.

Re: Honda Key Code

Cabreco
LukeM wrote
any good locksmith shop should be able to make you a key from your OEM unit.  When I got my 79, it cost $2 per key, and took about 5 minutes.  Local hardware stores may be able to do them, but if not, find a locksmith shop.

To answer the second part, yes they can cut a new key given your OEM code on your key.  It'll be easier if they just copy what you have now.

Luke M
You would think that getting a key made by a locksmith would be easy?
It appears that a locksmith with a brick & mortal location is a vanishing breed. We do have many "locksmiths in a van" that will come to your location (for an additional fee) but very few shops.
I did find one commercial shop that told me no sweat but when I arrived he discovered he did not have the blanks. He did order them & will have them tomorrow. I will say this he cut keys for the bed cover of my Sport Trac using just the lock & did it in a breeze.
Fortunately I should have this resolved tomorrow!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: Honda Key Code

dave Esch
That surprises me. In my experience, a key that old, cut from a code, usually will not work. Basically you are cutting a key for a brand new cylinder. You absolutely run the risk of malfunctions such as the key failing to go in, or worse, failing to come out. Best bet is to cut the new key to the old key. The new key will match the worn tumblers better. Also make sure the key gets wire-wheeled very thoroughly before the first use.

Re: Honda Key Code

Cabreco
dave Esch wrote
That surprises me. In my experience, a key that old, cut from a code, usually will not work. Basically you are cutting a key for a brand new cylinder. You absolutely run the risk of malfunctions such as the key failing to go in, or worse, failing to come out. Best bet is to cut the new key to the old key. The new key will match the worn tumblers better. Also make sure the key gets wire-wheeled very thoroughly before the first use.
Exactly what is on the agenda for tomorrow once he gets delivery of the ordered blanks. Although you make a lot of very good points against the code key, my reasoning is much more basic since I do have the OEM key. Copies cut from my key will only cost me $2.50 <LOL>

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: Honda Key Code

HaileyWilliams
Blanks can be ordered online also and if you don't have a dealership store near you then look for a locksmith company to cut blanks for yourself.

Re: Honda Key Code

JustinWinslow
If you know the key code, then visit the auto locksmith store. They can make you the new key with that key code easily.

Re: Honda Key Code

Mark Twain
If you have a key code then any locksmith can cut and program a new car key.