Honda NC50

jbrightwell
A very close friend has had an accident and can not work with his hands.  He has a 1978 Honda Express Moped - NC50.  He would like to have it running for his grandkids.  I wish there was as good of a site as this site, for that bike.  Alas not much there.  I have agreed to try and get it going for the cost of the parts only, and I am looking for anyone who might have some knowledge to help me.  It is certainly not easy to find the RIGHT parts for this bike.  But if anyone out there can point me in the right direction, or has any kind of experience with this type of bike I would really like some help along the line.  I have done all the basic stuff but there is no spark.  Got new points but of course they are not correct.  Please feel free to email me directly if you can help at all - Thanks so much...

Re: Honda NC50

Get the correct points, and give it another try. If that does not do it, feel free to ask for help here.

Re: Honda NC50

jbrightwell
Seems like all the places that have new points are just like the replacement set that I got.  But yes, that should be the first thing to do.  I have looked at new coils too, lots of them available for this year, but the original coil has the condenser right with it, none of the replacement coils have the condenser.  I have seen one replacement condenser but it is nothing like what the bike is supposed to have on it.  Frustrating!!

Re: Honda NC50

The condenser does not need to be attached/made into the coil. Any (I think this bike is 6 volt) condenser will work. Just attache it to the wire that goes from the coil to the points. As for the points, any will do as long as they will mount to the backing plate.

Re: Honda NC50

jbrightwell
Ok Tools - this is good info.  6V is correct.  There is a set of points and condenser for sale on ebay.  I think I will email the seller and if the points are right then I will make that purchase.  In my experience, coils don't usually fail do they?  Im thinking the condenser would be a more likely culprit.  But then again the coil seems to be the easiest to find.  Thanks.

Re: Honda NC50

I tried doing a parts search for the points/condenser on powersedge.com and could not find them in the parts fiche. Could this bike have a magneto style ignition? Also the condenser does not actually have anything to do with the bike running, or not. What it does is keep the points from burning up.

Re: Honda NC50

jbrightwell
Interesting!  I found another set of points that should, I say should fit, on ebay and ordered them.  Next week I will have them.  Supposedly the 77-8-9 all had the same ignition set up, then changed in 80.  If there is no spark with the new points it will be time for plan B - whatever that is!

Re: Honda NC50

jbrightwell
Here are some pics to clarify. 1st is old points,2nd is new points(notice adjustment screw slot) 3rd is coil/condenser.

Re: Honda NC50

jbrightwell
Ok Tools and all interested parties :  I got some help from Thomas Andrews at Classic Cycle Parts.  I sent him my old points and he had to dig around but he found an exact match!  He said my NC50 has a "Denso" ignition, not Hitachi, not Mitsuba like most of the other NC50s.  Part number is 30202-131-004. So those are on.  Now then, looking at the manual that I downloaded, I should have continuity between the spark plug wire and the "hot" or really the only wire going into the coil.  But I do not have continuity there.  Does that mean bad coil or am I missing something?  Thanks ALL, JON

Re: Honda NC50

You should have continuity between the (+) and (-) wires on the coil, and I think the (-) and the coil wire (but could be (+) and coil wire.

Re: Honda NC50

jbrightwell
OK I think I have continuity at those places.  I will put things back together and see if there is any spark left in the old flame.  Thanks - JON

Re: Honda NC50

jbrightwell
I had contacted the seller of a coil on ebay and he says the coils are very seldom the problem.  He was right.  Thanks to him , and to you Tools - I now have spark.  Looks like I need a new end for the plug wire but other than that I am in business.  Thanks again - JON