I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Truck wrote
Shiney, did you ever find out the manuf. of those pods? My 900 came with the same ones and I've been curious who makes them.
Wow. Totally missed this. Sorry bud. And no, we have no clue who made these pods still. I can say they aren't even the real nice ones. I'm sure you've read about pods where the rubber portion of the body covers parts of the air bleed area...well, these do that,too. But they run OK, so I'm happy. Fingers still crossed...

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Truck
No worries, more of a curiosity thing.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

shinyribs wrote
Just throwing this up here for people looking at pods on CV's.

I just received a set of CV's off a buddy's '81 F. These are the pods hes was using on them.

 I don't know what brand/seller these pods are from (I need to call my buddy that I got these from),but the carbs are just the stock ones off his '81 CB750 F. The needles are non-adjustable so, as far as we know, they are the stock needles. Jets are 140,68,35. Air screws are 2.5 turns out. Pulls to redline  HARD and has no bogs or flat spots while you are riding. It does have a weee lil bit less of the snappy feeling it had before, but I may need to tweak the air screws a touch to get the fine tune on that. Very,very little pop on decel. Pretty much what you'd expect with a fairly open 4-1. Air cut-off valves are still in operation. No foam inside the pods or tape on the outside(obviously), just using them straight out of the box. Literaly, just pods and a re-jet.

I'll have to really ride the bike and rack up some miles before I will say with confidence that "pods are working on my CV's'', but as it stand now (after 20 minutes of flogging it in the mountains) well, pods are working on my CV's

Update to this. This bike still starts, idles and cruises perfectly. But anything over 6k-8k rpm* and it falls on it's face. I have no idea what changed that made these carbs start acting up, but they just aren't reliable with pods IMO.

I gave it a fair fight,though. I played around with different slides, different emulsion tubes, weighing slides, measuring spring tension ( and adjusting them) , different sized air bleed holes in the slides, different jetting,needles,different pods, taped up pods, untaped ods with extra foam, no pods...etc.... Honestly, I tuned on these silly thing to the point where I wore out my tank mounting rubbers and was to the point where I was starting to think I was going to wear the screw threads out on the carb caps.

I'm no engineer or carb guru, but in my personal experience/opinion. Pods can be made to cruise just fine, but they'll never rev. At least not reliably.

Sorry for not updating this earlier. I hope I didn't cause anyone else to go down the wrong road on this. I'm pretty tenacious when it comes to making ''the impossible'' work. I like to see things work out when they aren't supposed to. But I just couldn't make these be reliable.

*changes depending on the phase of the moon...apparently...i dunno

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER- I HAVE NOT ATTEMPTED ANY OF THIS- I'M JUST SHARING INFORMATION I'VE FOUND.

So the following is an installation and instruction manual that Honda Racing Service Center wrote up  regarding some engine kits for the 900 engine. I have this entire manual downloaded as a PDF on my computer. I have no clue how to post an entire PDF here, or even know if it's possible to email a PDF. IF anyone knows how to do this I would be happy to post it or email it to anyone interested.

EDIT: PDF file download link ->  click me!

Granted, most of us are shooting for pods rather than these fannels, but it is very much the same idea.

When the manual mentions a jet or nozzle as size ''0'' or ''zero'' , that means it is solid, or has no hole in it. This can be done by soldering the orifice closed. For less a permanent route you could use epoxy or some sort of rubber plug. Basically, they are just removing the circuit in question by blocking it off. Proceed with materials and techniques at your own discretion.

I haven't studied this much,but I did read a few things about this.

- Air cut-off passage does NOT have to be sealed with a solid ball. A suitable piece of rubber will seal the passage off

- When the directions instruct you to remove the ''slow jet plug'' it never says to reinstall it later. You ARE supposed to leave that rubber cap/plug OFF of the bike.

- No mention of drilling the slides or using anything other than the stock needle. I saw a few things online where guys did this and were happy with the results.

THIS IS ALL I KNOW. I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS OR PROMOTE IT AS AN ACTUAL CURE. JUST SHARING INFORMATION.

But I fully plan to to attempt this at some point. Hope this helps! If someone attempts this PLEASE post the results!

Edit regarding disabling the air cutoffs

* NOTE: the tuning adjustments mentioned here MAY OR MAY NOT be accurate. This is just to show an option other than driving a permanent,steel ball in to your carb.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Truck
Just add it as an attachment to the Email. Tricky part is if the receiver can receive a file big enough
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Adz84
Hey slownugly007!

      Kudos on getting the pods to work! This post has helped me out a lot! Beautiful bike! What front end have you got on it?

Ad

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Shiny, you are an admin so you can upload it to the resources area where all the manuals are. You should be able to click "more" on my post with everything in it and "edit" it. It will have you make a name for it and then upload it. Once you save the post, it should be there. Or just click my name and send it to me in an email. I use gmail so I should be able to get it not problem.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

NormanWI
I appreciate your post about the pod addition! I'm planning on doing the same thing myself. I want to get rid of all the clutter behind the carburetors, including the battery assembly. Which battery did you use? Can you still use the electric starter with that small of a battery? Thanks for the info!

Jared

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Rerun, thanks for that info boss. If I can't figure it out I'll send it your way.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

RedBeard
I just pulled the carbs today and was thinking the same thing, goodbye airbox if I can make those pods run, and a smaller battery would be dope. Let me know what you find out!

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Don't throw that airbox away. There are a lot of guys looking for them after they gave up on trying to get pods to work on DOHC bikes.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

JoeyKarate19
Hey man, I'm doing my first custom build and I'm having some issues. Its an '81 750C. I got rid of the airbox and put pods on. They look like the same ones you have in the photo. There are still some things I need to find. Do you know a good site to buy those jets from? Also do you have any pictures of how the wires are set up under the tank?
Nobody cares. Work harder.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Your local Honda dealer should be able to supply you with jets, or try jetsrus.com.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Scrambler80
What is the small filter under the far left pod in the picture?

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Crankcase vent filter.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

marioz2000
Hi I know this is an old post but i will give it a try.... i am trying to change from air box to pods on my carbs, but I find the carbs don't stay in place and with a little force they come out of the rubber boot. So i am afraid that with the vibration or any bump in the road they would come out. the airbox makes pressure and keeps them in place but looks ugly. the lip on the rubber boot is about 3mm where there is no too much room to tighten a clamp.
when I put the pods it looks exactly like first picture . any advice or modifications that anybody can suggest I will appreciate.
Ride Safe!!!!

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

I would start with new boots and clamps. The carbs should not be loose, especially to the point where they would fall off without the airbox holding them on.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

marioz2000
I will order new boots and clamps and see what happen from there .... thanks for your reply..... Regards. --Mario-

On Jan 19, 2018 1:14 PM, "TOOLS1 [via Vintage and Classic Honda's]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would start with new boots and clamps. The carbs should not be loose, especially to the point where they would fall off without the airbox holding them on.

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/I-GOT-PODS-TO-WORK-tp4039223p4062919.html
To unsubscribe from I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!, click here.
NAML

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Jantz
I’m having difficulty with my 82 cb750f getting hot and keeping idle I believe my emissions are the cause and I seen you had a filter on the hose by the oil fill what about the other hose on the other side?

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

rodell98
Honda750Cafe where did you find your jets I cant find a 98
12