I kinda-sorta made a mill

I was in Northern today picking up a few odds and ends and saw this tool.I had a brainstorm...finally!I needed to make some brackets to mount a steering damper to my frame tubes and forks and was dreading all of the hacking and grinding ahead of me.I could just buy them but where is the fun in that? Since this thing runs on two axis' it works almost exactly like a mill.I chucked a high speed carbide burr bit into my drill press,adjusted the belts to 2,000 rpm and let 'er rip. I know drill presses aren't setup for a lot of side-loading like this,so you have to take it easy when feeding it through.In no way imaginable is this suitable for any kind of machine work,but it worked great for whacking out this lil doo-dad. It was throwing aluminum shavings like Grant took Richmond! One clamp done,one to go.It looks admittedly homemade,but I admittedly kinda dig that. It's called a cross-slide vise and that was a 3/4" thick piece of aluminum out of the local scrap yardOh,and this cross-slide works great for it's intended purpose,too.I drilled the center out with a holesaw and the other three holes as well.It is not a professional grade tool,but it seems pretty well made.At $90 it is not exactly cheap,but I still wish I would have bought one years ago. If you are looking at one of these,buy with confidence.I really like it.

Re: I kinda-sorta made a mill

MarkPBG
That is awesome! SOmetimes the low buck solutions are all I can afford! I'll keep it in mind.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: I kinda-sorta made a mill

rrgunslinger
Cool
American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg