I made an engine stand today

Since it was a holiday I thought I would do something, for myself. I know I'm selfish that way. Any way I made an engine stand, for CB 750 engines. Now I need to make 6 more.

Re: I made an engine stand today

Looks good!Why dont you build me one that holds the motor from the side? That way I can slide my motor out of the frame easily. Im too lazy,and you have better welding skills than me.

Re: I made an engine stand today

Piute

                                               needs wheels 4"please,

Re: I made an engine stand today

Some wheels would be nice, for moving it around. However it might make it hard to loosen/tighten bolts while working on an engine.
I am planning on making one that holds the engine from the rear, and mounts to my engine stand.

Re: I made an engine stand today

Lucky 1
I think that is a great idea Shinyribs!

It would be a technical challenge though.
I think it could be done.
Some wheels on it would be good too.

I think it could be held with long rods that go through the
top engine mounts (front and rear),and then once in place and the bottom
mount bolts are in place, the stand could be removed
and the top mount bolts put in.

On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: I made an engine stand today

That is exactly what I had in mind,Lucky. They would support the weight but there would still need to be something to keep it from sagging on those loooong rods. You could mount something for the case to butt up to and just protect is with a rubber pad of some sorts. I'll tackle that when my new stuff gets here.LOL Mine is together now and I hope it never has to come back apart.Not for many years,at least!

Re: I made an engine stand today

Half-Caf
TOOLS1 wrote
I am planning on making one that holds the engine from the rear, and mounts to my engine stand.
TOOLS
That means you would have no use for that one then, right?
I actually just bought a dolly from Home Depot today with plans to convert it into a rolling engine stand.
As I have no welding ability, I was probably going to go the lumber route.

Let me know if you plan on selling those puppies...
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: I made an engine stand today

I never thought of selling them. However I had thought of making a stand out of 3/4 inch plywood.

Re: I made an engine stand today

I made two more today.

I had to trim the tabs on one, so it would fit an automatic.

I made them out of 1 1/4 X 1/8 inch angle iron. It takes 2-5 1/4", 2-6", 2-18", 2-11 3/4" pieces.

I then measured in a 1/2", and down a 1/2" on each of the 5 1/4", and 6" pieces. I then drilled an 1/8" pilot hole followed by a 7/16" hole. I wanted them to have some slop, so it would be easy to mount the engines in them. Also don't forget to make them mirror each other when drilling. And when assembling.

The holes should measure 11 3/4", so the inside of the angle to the inside of the other should be 10 3/4"

When welding on the end pieces be sure to put a washer between the angle iron brackets, and the engine case. Again, you want some slop, so, you don't have to fight it on the engine.

I also made these out of 3/8" round stock to mount the engines with.

Now I just need to build four more.

Re: I made an engine stand today

You should sell blueprints

Re: I made an engine stand today

I have made 10 of these now, and I need 6 more now.

Re: I made an engine stand today

I need to build an assembly line.

Re: I made an engine stand today

Truck
You know if you made the back legs longer and added some lockable wheels in the front.....
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"