LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

monsterbronc
OK, I haven't done anything yet, But due the their brightness, longevity, durability, and low amp draw, I plan to swap out all my lights for LED lights.  But I have a "slow to start" flasher to begin with, and I'm sure the LED's will not pull enough amps to make it work. (It already takes a couple seconds to start flashing)

Has anybody tried this? what flasher will work in its place? what kind of con-o-worms am I getting into? What will work as a stock flasher just in case this one pops before I get all this done? will a stock flasher work? how will this affect my Turn signal alarm?

I have a 1975 CB750K5 with Vetter fering and Bates "lighted" saddlebags

Thanks, Steve

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

Slow flasher could be a bad ground, or bad connection somewhere. A stock flasher will not have enough draw with LED's to operate. I have seen flasher units at Autozone, and other parts stores for LED low amp applications. You can use one of these. It might not fit in the mounting bracket, but you can tie wrap it in place.

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

monsterbronc
Mounting bracket? mine just hangs out under the side cover, no bracket. Does it wire in the same as automotive 3 prong flashers? I tried one for a ford van I scrounged up, and it did nothing but buzz. Ive seen special LED ones in big trucks now that they are going to LED lighting, I guess one of those will work if they wire in the same.

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

If it does not match the plug. You can cut the wires, and put new end's on them, and just plug them on where they go.

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

monsterbronc
mine doesn't actually have a plug, its just got three female spade connectors, and you have to remember where they go or you mix them up and it doesn't work at all. Im sure If the honda relay is in fact special and cant be replaced with an aftermarket I can install a resistor to mimic the load to make them blink.

Whaddya expect, its 36 years old.

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

The three spade connectors is a common fix. it's what I was suggesting. you should not need a resistor. Just the right flasher. The three wires are: 1 is the power wire to the flasher unit. 1 is for the right turn, and 1 is for the left turn. Very simple.

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

You can get a plain jane electronic flasher and it should work. Make sure it is electronic, not mechanical.

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

monsterbronc
I messed up and fried the one that was on it, (forgot what wire went where) so as a last ditch effort I tried the ford flasher again, tried pugging it in in different ways, then all of a sudden, It works. the honda flasher must just have a different wire order. now Ive got to get the LED lights, my bates saddle bag lenses are both broken, so Im gonna replace the whole assemblies with an LED light, and the rest Ill swap out the bulbs with LED replacements.  looks like this might get expensive...........  I think Ill hit the truckstop first and see whats available, then buy online.

Im also getting green or purple LED strips to go under the tank to light up the engine at night, but required lights are first.

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

sgtslag
Be forewarned that LED's are typically not as bright as incandescent bulbs...  They're making progress, but last I checked (12+ months ago...), they were still not DOT approved (due to lack of brightness).  They are used in many, many new cars, but aftermarket LED's have not matched what is available for new, OEM setup's.  Good luck!  Cheers!

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

DesignBuild
Glad you could get the Ford relay working, but if it is indeed a mechanical unit and not an electrical, when you get your LED's it will not work. The electrical three prong at Autozone is 7.99, you'll spend more in gas going to get it, but it is worth saving the headache. I've done this and converted all my flashers, running tail light, and brake light to LED, and it's worked just fine.

As for the brightness, as compared to regular LED bulb types, that may be true. However, i suggest buying Ultra-bright LED's if you're going that route (these are what i have), they don't come in bulbs but rather cubes, and are plenty bright.

Also on that point, Autozone carries several of these Ultra bright kits in various forms for much cheaper than you'll find anyone on the net selling these specifically for bikes. I suggest if you have a wiring skills to get those and modify them as needed. Unfortunately I've already paid WAY too much for the mid level expensive ones; but if i was doing it again I'd get the Autozone variety, plastic tubing (in appropriate color, with white LED), or cellophane the enclosure housing them to proper color (amber or red).

Goodluck

Re: LED conversion? flasher problems? Suddgestions? CB750K5

monsterbronc
sorry, been away a while, I got red 1157 bulbs from autozone, and they are plenty bright, I tried to find amber, they are rare. But are available online. Found white at a truckstop, but they wouldnt blink rught, even in another vehicle, they just barely got brighter when they blinked, so I put the regular bulbe back in for now on the front turn signals

I did have to get an electronic flasher, the ford one was mechanical, and it did this hyper-blink soo fast it wouldnt give the bulbs time to flash.