Martek 440 ignition

Does anyone have any info on these setups?  I am new to these bikes and just picked up one that has been sitting since 2004. I found this when i was going to check out the points,   The bike runs good so i guess there is not really much to do with it,but i was wondering if i can, or should ,open up my spark plug gap over the points gap?  I have been googling this for two days and havent really found anything of use

Re: Martek 440 ignition

I would set the plug gap at 45

Re: Martek 440 ignition

wow   thats almost double    sounds good to me

Re: Martek 440 ignition

I still can't find any info on this ignition. There is some sort of an index mark made onto the body of the outer ring,I don't know if i use that to set my timing or if it should line up the index mark on the engine case,or what. I really want to check my ignition timing because engine is running poorly,but can't eliminate that as the culprit for lack of knowledge...nothing new for me. Seems to me that i should still use the index mark on the engine case for timing but the window is so small that im not able to point a light in there and see the mark around the timing light. Sigh...i'm getting disgusted,but not giving up.Any help,please?!?!

Re: Martek 440 ignition

This should help.

Re: Martek 440 ignition

...Tools,how do you do that?!?!  I suck and you rule       You are a lifesaver big guy

Re: Martek 440 ignition

Peterwh
I've been thinking about this for a while. Is it worth fitting electronic ignition on a 78 SOHC?  Opinions please.

Re: Martek 440 ignition

If some body would get me one I would install it in a heartbeat.

Re: Martek 440 ignition

Peterwh
Thanks.  Would I see much improvement in performance, or just reliability?  Which one would you go for?

Re: Martek 440 ignition

From what I understand quite an improvement. I would probably go with the Pamco from vintagecb750.com