Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

lucadortenzi
Hi there everyone, I finally got my CB 750 to restore.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with setting up their CB with higher performance cabrs like the Mikuni's or CRs?
I have read the Mikuni's are better for road use, CRs are bettere for track machines.

Also anyone has feedback about the Mikuni's 4 in 2 setup?
Many thanks.

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

hondacb750f
Good luck, do you have any pictures?

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

lucadortenzi

is a non runner tho. got it for £500. great conditions overall.
Will attack the carbs this weekend.

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

The CR's seem to be more popular for the DOHC bikes. I have used the Mikuni's on twins before, and they work pretty good, but I think you would have a hard time mounting them on a rack for a four cylinder. You can buy the CR's already set up from Sudco, Dynoman, or Dime City.

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

lucadortenzi
thank you for your feedback guys, i am still researching between the 2 carbs brands, i will let you know what i will go for. In the maintime more feedback is greatly appreciated.

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

That's a good machine to start with.  Wonder why it's not running:  been sitting too long, electrical problems, carb problems?  For me, the mechanical stuff is the important part and what I enjoy the most.  I stay away from bodywork and paint stuff.  Nice looking bike!

Just wondering if it's possible to go to a dual carb setup, and use a little manifold like the Honda Rebel 250 uses.  Just thinking outside the box. 2 carbs to sync is easier than 4, n'est pas?

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

lucadortenzi
This post was updated on .
It has carbs problems at t he moment.
Engine runs free and clutch needs a look as weel.
Yes you can do the 2 carbs set up for the CB DOHC's models
Speedmotoco.co seems the best deal so far and they come set up for stock engines or modified ones.

http://www.speedmotoco.com/cb750-DOHC-vm34-dual-carb-Mikuni-complete-kit-car-p/km-vm34-dohc.htm

anyone has any feedback?

I think I am getting pretty keen for this set up at the moment..

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

masiste
This post was updated on .
Hi.

   Just read your thread. I have a thread of my own about my bike.

   I installed CR 31's on my bike.

   There is also another member with CR carbs in his ride. Bill. He also has his thread.

   I wanted Mikunis but apparently Mikuni does not make carbs for ojr bikes anymore, so my only choice was CR by Keihin. No regrets, except that Mikunis are easier to jet and tune, So I have been told. But. CR 's are great and perform as well. Setting the right jets is somewhat tricky, but you can always get someone experienced to set them up.

   I had to do so after my tricks did not made the show. Beat the stock carbs like a  Michael Jordan slam dunk !
750DOHC

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

masiste
Will tey post photos in smaller versio....lets see...

Mine :

Bills :

  Soon we wil meet, both bikes will take a chance to look at ea other.

   Photos of Bill's  I got at a motorcycle show before I even knew whom the bike belonged to. It is a nice bike indeed.
750DOHC

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

masiste
Just found out Mikunis are available. For some reason not in USA though

The right carb for our bikes would be a Mikuni TMR set up. I found them after a guy published his work at a motorcycle (Honda) facebook page.

Got in touch with a dealer in Netherlands. He will quote me a price tomorrow. He sells both Mikuni TMR Kits and the known here in US Keihin CR.

He claims Keihins have better looks but Mikuni gives more power   Mikunis are a little more expensive than Keihins as well.

Mikunis are "flatslides". Keihins are "roundslides"

My impression from others' opinions is that the Mikuni units are easier to tune and set up.

I can tell from my experience Keihin units are  not easy for sure.
750DOHC

Re: Mikuni RS or Keihin CR for CB 750F 1982

warhawk
thank you...your comments are good source of information to us