New Member with newly acquired? ??1979??? Cb900

New Member with newly acquired? ??1979??? Cb900

Ali7805
HI everyone!  My name is Allison, and I have recently acquired what I believe is a 1979 CB900. It has 2 shifters and 10 gears from what I am being told. However, the Vin has a chunk of metal on top.of.a couple of the numbers. How that occurred can only be explained by "That is just how things happen with me" no other reason.. I do know it is a 9 digit vin. I guess I would like to know if someone could assist me in my research.

My questions: is there a pre-17 digit Vin decoder? Are there multiple locations for Vin on the frames of these late models? Is the motor number connected to a Vin number somewhere?  Motor number location? Any websites I can checkout?

I have a fabulous old book someone uploaded to Internet, which is where I get it is a 1979 instead of 1978 like someone told me. But not only am I researching for this bike, I have now made a friend that has what he says is a vt750 shadow, but he only has a 10 digit von and needs specs.

Thank you for any help! I look forward to being part of this forum. I buy bikes from about 7 tow yard's regularly and always looking at Estate sales. Currently own numerous Shadows of all ccs ranging from 1996 and up.. And have several sportbikes from 1993 and up.
1 Gawa??

I buy, sell and repair bikes as well as sell parts. I have several customers with vintage bikes so I am always researching something!

Re: New Member with newly acquired? ??1979??? Cb900

Motorcycles did not use the 17 digit vin until sometime in the early 80's. Your vin should be on the steering stem and start with CB900........ The engines did not have a matching vin, however it should be within a few hundred of the frame#. What you are describing with two gearshifts and hi/lo range, should be a CB900 "C" or custom model with shaft drive.

Re: New Member with newly acquired? ??1979??? Cb900

Ali7805
Thank you for that info. I am aware of the Vin system not being 17 digits or standardized pre1980. Unfortunately,  the "vin" is on the neck, but somehow a pice of metal has welded itself in the middle of the numbers. I guess I am going to try and grind it off somehow.  I am trying to get a title for it as well as some specs.

I really appreciate the assistance.

On Saturday, September 2, 2017, TOOLS1 [via Vintage and Classic Honda's] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Motorcycles did not use the 17 digit vin until sometime in the early 80's. Your vin should be on the steering stem and start with CB900........ The engines did not have a matching vin, however it should be within a few hundred of the frame#. What you are describing with two gearshifts and hi/lo range, should be a CB900 "C" or custom model with shaft drive.

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/New-Member-with-newly-acquired-1979-Cb900-tp4062669p4062670.html
To unsubscribe from New Member with newly acquired? ??1979??? Cb900, click here.
NAML

Re: New Member with newly acquired? ??1979??? Cb900

A piece of metal welded to it? Do you have a picture? Grinding on or near the serial number might lead some government agencies to think the serial number might have been tampered with, and they might want to make your life a living hell because of it.

Re: New Member with newly acquired? ??1979??? Cb900

Ali7805
Yeah, I have already dealt with those agencies.....and won. I keep VERY METICULOUS records!! I guess grinding was not the best words, ha! I will send a pick of bike and the chunk/random piece of metal I am talking about.

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/New-Member-with-newly-acquired-1979-Cb900-tp4062669p4062672.html