New guy with a 82 cb900c project

hupur
Hi Guys
I just picked up a 82 cb900 c with only 58000 km on the clock
got it home it hasn't ran in years, and started fixing things.I pulled the fuel tank and spark plugs,poured atf in the cylinders and let it sit a day.
Next day I put it in 5th gear and rocked it back and forth until it sprayed oil out the plug holes.then i hit the starter button and let it rollover for 20 seconds
I checked for spark and have none.I pulled the cover off the left side and was met with a stream of oil..I dont think oil is supposed to be in with the ignition parts.The pulser hold on bolt is broken off in the end of the crankshaft..is this difficult to remove? and all the advance stuff behind the pulser plate is flopping around as well.
I'm not sure what to think at this point as the closer i look at this engine ,The more I think it was stripped and rebuilt by less than skilled mechanic.There are gtobs of blue rtv sealant everywhere in fact I think thats whats holding the tach cable into the front valve cover..my question is : is there supposed to be a crankshaft seal behind the pulsers and if so can it be replaced from the outside or do i need tosplit the cases tia

Re: New guy with a 82 cb900c project

I do not have much experience with the DOHC engines, but I think there is supposed to be oil behind that cover. RTV sealant is certain death to a motorcycle engine. You notice how it oozes out the cover/part it is on, well it does the same thing inside the engine where it will break loose and plug the oil passages. As for removing the broken bolt. Try to turn it out with a pick, if that does not do it weld a nut onto the broken bolt, and turn it out with a wrench. Also, here is a link to a parts fiche. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1982/cb900c-a-900-custom/left-crankcase-cover-advancer

Re: New guy with a 82 cb900c project

hupur
thanks for the info,you have put me atease now that i know oil is supposed to be in there.I just couldn't comprehend oil in a cavity with electronics..doesnt oil conduct?

Re: New guy with a 82 cb900c project

It should not be flooded with oil, but there are not any open uninsulated circuits for the oil to short out in there.