No Power

semcintyre
1976 Honda CB500T

So I was going down the road, and completely lost power. I noticed my battery cables were a little loose. Tightened them....still no power. All my gauges are off, so I'm basing this off my headlight not working. It's a new battery, and fully charged. Would that cause a total lose of power from the battery??

....my second thought was that I may have severed my engine on/off or ignition switches where they come out of the controls on the handlebars. I just recently put new bars on, and had to drill holes in the new ones to give room for the wiring to pass through the controls. I had just stopped to tighten the controls, and I may have pinched the wiring. Although, nothing happened at that time. I was able to fire it up, and go down the road...but only for a mile.

Thoughts????? Help!!!!!!

Shawn

Re: No Power

Have you checked to see if your battery is charged? Did the main fuse blow?

Re: No Power

semcintyre
It's a charged new battery. It had been running fine.

I did hear a pop in the headlight when I was fiddling with the two battery connections, which seemed odd...this was after it died. There's a lot floating around in there

I checked the fuse box under the seat, and didn't see any fuses that looked blown. I assume that's where the main fuse is??

If I severed the run/off switch, would that kill power to the whole bike...no lights ect.? That's the only thing I can attribute it to. I looked and there wasn't any visible cut.

Thanks sooooo much for the feedback!!!!! I really want to fix this myself if possible.

Shawn

Re: No Power

Power goes from the battery through the main fuse to the ignition switch, and then to the rest of the bike. So your problem must be from the battery to the ignition switch. Does the battery have a full charge now, or was that before this issue started?

Re: No Power

semcintyre
Thanks for the information!! I really appreciate the info!!

It should be. I don't put it on a tender every evening, but I've been running it consistently, and it had a full charge a couple weeks ago. That makes sense. So I should look into the connections between the battery and the ignition switch?

Should I not be as concerned that I severed a wire on the handle bar controls (right side - e-start, run/off wires)? That is what I was messing with just before the issue.

So it's probably safe to say I won't be able to kick start it?

Shawn

Re: No Power

Just because it had a full charge last week does not mean it has a full charge now. If the charging system is not working, or the battery failed it will not have a full charge now. Also I do not trust battery tenders. I have seen them burn batteries up. When I use them it is sparingly, especially with AGM maintenance free batteries. As for the wiring in the handlebar, that is all secondary circuits that take power after the ignition switch, so if there is not any power anywhere it would not be the wiring in the handle bar. You need to get a test light and just start tracing the system.

Re: No Power

semcintyre
Geez, that sucks about tenders. Man, I hope I don't have to buy another $100 + battery.

Good idea. I have a tester, but not sure where to start exactly? Is there a specific area by the ignition I should check? Let's say I do find the spot that has lost connection...what are my options at that point? ...try and find a new wire?

Again, I apologize for all this noob questions, I'm very new to this. I'm not only mechanically challenged, but electrically too.

Shawn

Re: No Power

Start with connecting the test light lead to the negative battery post, and then stick the test light on the battery positive to make sure it is working. The put the test light to the fuses to make sure juice is going through them (test both ends while they are in the fuse box). The main will be the only one with juice when the ignition is in the off position. If you have juice at this point, go to the ignition switch and test to make sure you have a hot wire going into it. If there is a hot wire there, turn the switch on and check to see if the wires coming out have juice. Let me know what you find.

Re: No Power

semcintyre
It was the main fuse blown. Replaced it, and running :)

There is a mess of wires I was unplugging, when removing the tach/speedo, and light cluster, so I'm sure there must be something going on in there. I have some rear tail light wires stuffed in by the battery also. I just need to go through it all and make sure they're secure.

It' probably impossible to guess, but what do you think would cuase the main fuse to blow?

Shawn

Re: No Power

While you were messing with the wires, you grounded a hot wire and blew the fuse.

Re: No Power

semcintyre
Okay, thank you. Makes sense.

Would I have had the key on? Or was it hot just coming from the main fuse?

Shawn

Re: No Power

The wire from to and from the main fuse that goes to the ignition switch is hot all the time.

Re: No Power

semcintyre
Got it. Thank you.

Looking at the diagram, it appears I need to check this wire? Would there be an exposed wire or something? What would I be looking for?

Also, coming out of the other end of the Main fuse...any thoughts on where that goes?

Shawn

Re: No Power

Lower left arrow is not a part of the main system. Yo probably just shorted out a hot wire while working on the bike. If you had a dead short on a wire, you would be constantly blowing a fuses.

Re: No Power

semcintyre
Thank you!! This was a huge help!! Glad it was something easy, as the wiring in it's entirety, looks daunting.

Next up, remove the lowering kit, and get my seat mounted. Then  shocks, powder coating wheels, and get new tires on.

Any experience doing a brat style conversion, particularly making a seat pan, and mounting the seat?

Shawn

Re: No Power

semcintyre
You can disregard my last question. I stumbled upon a post of yours, and it sounds like you're not a fan of that style...or at least cafe. I agree to a certain extent regarding the cafe style. I wouldn't choose a cafe seat or clip-ons, but I do like the simplistic/sleek look of a stripped down vintage Honda. I keep hearing the cafe racer conversion is fad, but I've never actually seen one on the streets. Anyways, you can disregard.

I appreciate all of your help with all of the questions I've posted!!! It is GREATLY appreciated!!! I'm very much enjoying this forum, since I've had a chance to look around.

Shawn

Re: No Power

I have had the same observation, everyone is/was building a "cafe" bike, but the only place you ever see them is on craigslist as uncompleted project bikes. The "brat" style is the big thing right now here in Kansas City. I know of some really nice bikes here, and I do see them being ridden. They are a little more comfortable to ride then a cafe bike, but still hurt your butt. What I do like is the "street fighter" style. I am starting to see a few of these being built. I am hoping to build one myself soon.
If you want to do a brat style just remove the fenders, airbox, and seat. Cut the back of the frame off and weld a hoop onto it. Then get a skate board, cover it with 1/4" of foam and some vinyl for a seat. Install pods on the carbs, and you have a brat.

Re: No Power

semcintyre
I live in central IL, but travel a lot. Pretty much all Harley's or crotch-rockets around here . To me, Harley's are more of a fad than fabricated vintage bikes.

The CB500T, from what I've read (didn't do my research when buying really, and just grabbed at the deal), is one of the most uncomfortable bikes during that time anyway, so comfort isn't a priority. I'm only going to do short back road rides anyways...no trips.

As for the brat style... I just love the look... dirt bike bars, low profile seat, and bare bones. It might be a very basic motorcycle or build, but there are still so many different ways to make it your own. That's what I like. Although, I agree, lot's of unfinished ugly cafes out there geeez.

I do love KC! Had a friend live there for years, and spent many fun weekends there.

I have heard of using a skateboard, but ended up buying a seat off eBay. It may due, but doesn't fit great. It's too round on the sides. Having trouble deciding how to mount it.

Re: No Power

semcintyre
I posted on the NEW MEMEMBERS section with some pics, and will keep that updated.

I'm no mechanic or savvy fabricator, but having fun with it so far.

Re: No Power

Fun is what it is about.
TOOLS
P.S. And picking up hot babes.