Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
Had a crazy idea lately. What do you guys think about doing a motor swap on the cb750 with the cbx motor? For a while I have been thinking about turbo'ing the girl after I make some money but I kind of think this would be the coolest motor swap ever.

And anyone who suggest buying a cbx instead, I like the history of the cb750 and all the visual and rider customizations ive done to my bike. Id rather put in the work to swap a motor then ride a different bike.

Let me know what you guys think!

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Sounds like a lot of work, and even more $$$$$$$$. The worst that could happen, is that you would end up with an expensive pile of junk. However on the other hand you might end up with a really cool custom bike, so go for it!

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

I guess part would depend on the frame you used. A dohc would probably work better

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
i have a 1979 cb750k which is a DOHC motor stock. I didn't think they changed the frames between that model and the SOHC frame???

I am little curious about the cbx trans and how it will mount to the frame, but I haven't seen one in person sooo im not sure how that'll fit..

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
Has anyone on here ever done a motor swap on their bike thats not stock?

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

You can bolt a SOHC engine into a DOHC frame, but you cannot bolt a DOHC engine into a SOHC frame without major modifications. The CBX had an open cradle frame, but the engine cases are about the same size as the CB 750.

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Unless you're in love with the look of the six cylinder I'd consider an 1100F engine. Easier and cheaper to get your hands on. More power. Fits.

An 1100F in a sohc would be a freaking handful. So awesome.

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Can you even get a CBX (motor or whole bike) anymore?  I would think they're scarce, even though I saw 3 of them at the most recent bike show here in C-bus.

Gotta love the sound of that motor, though.  Jay Leno has a video of his bike on YouTube.

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

The was a CBX for sale at Barber last time I was there. Zero miles. Had only recently been rolled off the crate and assembled. Still has never been started or had a battery in it. $35k.

Theres actually a cbx motor for sale not too far from me for like 5k. unfortunately I probably won't be able to start this project for at least 3-4 years from now. Cause I still have to finish college and get a job. But I feel like its never too early to plan! haha

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
I am all about the looks shiny, def can't imagine many straight 6 bikes rolling down the road!!

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

A friend on mine has a Kawasaki KZ 1300 six cylinder water cooled bike that he has stripped down into a bobber. That is the meanest, fastest bike I have ever seen. If you can get it to hook up, it will tear up a Busa, or a V-Max.

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
I am so happy this forum supports my insanity. I am pretty sold on doing this build eventually.

 I ve showed my gear head friends the motor and they shudder at the idea of a 6 cyl bike hahah. Your friends kawi sounds awesome, I'd love to see it.

 My dream cb750 would be a modern front braking system, possibly modern shock, and a different swing arm so I can have a little bit of a wider tire in the rear. I plan on cycling through many bikes, but I want to customize the cb750 and keep it as my weekend warrior. use more modern bikes for my daily drivers.

part of me still wants a tubo'ed cb750, but I think that might too much/idk if the internals of a cbx can take any more power.

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
This post was updated on .
or how much grip, even with wider tires, ill have left after a cbx swap

So pretty

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Truck
If your going that far might as well get the engine and do a full on custom build. new frame, modern componants, etc. I'd love to one day get my hands on a 'busa motor and build a custom bar hopper. Low fat and goes from light to light in as short as time possible.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing wrote
I am all about the looks shiny, def can't imagine many straight 6 bikes rolling down the road!!
 If it's all about the looks, then by all means, do it!

That wide set of pipe organ-like pipes across the front sure does look mean. If you decide to do it you had BETTER post up a build thread,too!

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Oh, and a stock DOHC swingarm can hold a 180 rear tire very easily. But you have to move the front sprocket out a pretty long way. Custom sprocket actually.

^^ That's a 170 in a stock twin cam s-arm. That tire beside it is a 140,which is already wider than what they came stock with. You can get a lot of rubber out back with minimal work. Just need to scoot the primary sprocket out a tad to get past a 170 tire.I did it with a stock sprocket and a very simple spacer. You can get past a 160 without moving the front sprocket at all.

Of course, all this is working off a 750 engine case. The primary sprocket location on a CBX engine case might be in a totally different location. Regardless, the swing arm will still hold a lot of tire.

Which are you thinking of building this out of? Single or twin cam frame?

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Coolest dang set of CBX pipes I ever saw...not so crazy about the headlights.

Side view for inspiration.

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
that looks SO COOL!!! and of course ill be making a build thread if I do this. aint buildin jack without bringing it back here haha

and I have a 79 cb750k so twin cams!

Re: Opinions wanted on innovative or dumb idea

Ba5sKing
i will make that header exhaust if i cant buy it haha and is that a cbx or cb750 frame?? i think if i am running low on space I could just do a custom fuel injection intake to same some real estate. plus I wouldnt complain about not having to tune carbs anymore, esp since I can do electrical engineering way easier to deal with then these pesky carbs haha