Running rich

Pilotbob
So, here's the situation. 1976 K model is stock as far as I know. Ran fine for the past year. No issues with accelerating or starting. Did a tune up, replaced plugs, points, condensers, and oil/filter. Timing is nuts on, checked with a light. Gaps are correct on points. Went out to ride and the bike hesitates from a stop. It runs rougher than before and smells rich. Pull choke when warmed up and bike wants to die. Got about 40mi less from a tank of gas too. Runs, idles fine if I brap the throttle it misses then catches up.

Re: Running rich

So you did not do anything to the carbs? That is the only thing that would make it run rich. When you set the timing, did the screws for the points plate set in the middle of the adjusting slots, or close to one end of the slot?

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
Didn't touch the carbs. #1 plug is wet and black. The other three are grey and dry. Top screw on plate is pretty much dead center. #1#2#3#4

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
1-4 All brand new with one 2 hour ride on them. Oh, and I also adjusted the tappets but didn't have to touch any but #3 which was slightly loose. Replaced all the tapped cover o rings.

Re: Running rich

Is the float sticking open in the #1 carb? Check the (air) pilot screw, it might have closed up somehow.

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
How would I check the float?

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
The air screw outside? That's adjusted 1.5 turns out now. Still rich.

Re: Running rich

Is there any sign of gas coming out if the carb anywhere? Also you can open up the pilot screw and see if it helps.

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
There's no fuel coming out that I can see...

Re: Running rich

I am wondering if the float/needle on that carb might not be working properly, and someone in the past might have plugged the overflow tube in the float bowel. To check these, you will need to remove the float bowel. To set the floats, you need to remove the carbs.

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
Ok. Thanks that'll be the next step. I appreciate the suggestions!

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
Another message board brought up dwell. I set gaps static using the feeler at the widest point of opening. Then set the timing by adjusting the points to just start to open at the F before finally using the strobe light which shows the timing is on, but could there be error there...?

Re: Running rich

Oh yes. That is why I asked where the screw was located in the point plate slot. I set points to 0.014" then set the crank mark to the timing mark. Then hook up my buzzer (a light works to) and rotate the points plate until the buzzer goes off. Then do the other side. After that I start the engine and use a strobe light to check the timing. At this point if it is off I adjust it by moving the points while the engine is running until the timing comes spot on. FYI Dwell has a range, timing does not, and dwell affects timing, but timing does not affect dwell. However this would explain the poor running, it does not explain the black spark plug.

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
Walked into shed today, smelled like raw fuel. There is a small puddle under bike from overflow hose. I'm beginning to suspect floats. Could it be needle too...? I don't haventime tonight to rip into it but I have to pull carb bank now. Right?

Re: Running rich

More then likely you will need to remove them to repair them. Could be the float, could be the needle, could be both.

Re: Running rich

Pilotbob
Floats float. Noticed fine rust sediment in the bowl. That's new... Wasn't there a year ago when I replaced the bowl seals.

Re: Running rich

That would be enough the stop the needle from sealing.