Shave your turn signals without losing them-No Fab needed

Shave your turn signals without losing them-No Fab needed

Weird title I know. Just trying to accurate and brief. And my apologies for the fuzzy pics.

I have some plans to mount some removable luggage on my '80 F but the turn signals were just in the way of everything I had in mind. I contemplated an integrated tail light,but I really like the look of the stock tail light.

A guy in town turned me on to this little beauty.

It retails for $60 but you could probably find it cheaper on line. It uses the stock two-bulb tail light and turns it into your turn signals. Both bulbs burn as normal for tail and brake lights,but the module blinks the brake lights portion of the bulbs as your signals. Is has two modes for the brake light: Standard "ON", or "PULSING". You just jump out the wires described in the diagram depending on which mode you want to use. I went with the standard "ON". Out of curiosity I checked out the "PULSING" function. It pulses rather slow and it pulses continually. It does not pulse then burn steady on. Just FYI.

Pic for size reference.

I mounted mine under one of the nuts that hold the rear inner fender in place. No drilling required.

The wiring diagram is super nice and very easy to follow. Any one could install this piece easily and with confidence. But just a heads up,you DO have to cut some wires inside the tail light housing itself. In order for it to work properly you have to separate the left tail/brake light bulb from the right side. In stock form these are obviously wired together. Not at all hard to do.

But rather than just junking all the factory wiring inside the tail light housing I rearranged the wiring and was able retain the factory quick disconnect so removing the tail light in the future would be just as easy as the factory design. Kinda weird and hard to explain,but if anyone wants more detailed pics or instructions on what I did here just ask. I'll do my best to explain.

Once it was all wired up and heat shrinked I added an insulated clamp to hold the wires in place. Just to make sure they could never get pinched by the seat somehow. Again,no drilling required reusing a preexisting bolt for the inner fender.

Nice and compact. Fits easily under the seat.

Stock quick disconnect ready to plug back in.

All that is needed to do this is a 12mm socket to remove the seat, a 10mm for the inner fender bolts,wire cutters and your choice of wiring connectors. The kit comes with the pinch on style connectors which I never cared much for. I always solder my connections and heat shrink them for protection. But crimp on butt connectors and a pair of crimping pliers would probably do just fine.

Easy way to shave your turn signals without any serious tools or having to fabricate any new mounts for a different tail light.

Re: Shave your turn signals without losing them-No Fab needed

rij1
Good mod. I like it. I just integrated my tail light and it wasn't hard at all. No cutting of any wires and its easy to put it back to stock.

Question- Do you use the PULSING brake light or the normal light?
If you use the pulsing how long does yours pulse for till it stays lit when applying the brake?
      My Bike Information
1982 Honda DOHC CB750F Supersport
4-1 Exhaust with baffle
Stock intake air box
Slow-speed jet #35
Primary main jet #68
Secondary main jet #105
Ventura, California

Re: Shave your turn signals without losing them-No Fab needed

I did wire it up as pulsing just to experiment at first. IIRC, it flashed about 5-6 times then stayed lit. But I never cared for the pulsing brake lights, so it's actually wired in to work as a typical brake light.

Secondary main jet #105
Ventura, California

Secondary main jet #105
Ventura, California

Re: Shave your turn signals without losing them-No Fab needed

hahaha   Psychadelic tail light! Mine flickers some at idle if the bike has been sitting without the battery tender hooked up. Whatever is inside the little things really likes full voltage to operate properly.