Silver-less solder questions

On refrigeration lines we've always used 15% silver solder. But the stuff is getting pricey. I can save about $15/lb by going to 0%. The stuff seems a little strange, though. I knabbed a couple sample sticks and just got done soldering up a set of lines. Really watery and seems sticky. Doesn't appear to take the heat well. Looks like it starts to boil (?)if you keep the flame on it too long. I usually keep the flame on a joint for a few moments to watch the solder flow into the joint good, but I'm afraid I'm gonna scorch this stuff.

Any experience with 0% solder? Will it take the vibrations?

Saving $15/lb would be worth about $75/month to me. I don't want any failures though. Definitely can't afford that!

Re: Silver-less solder questions

If you are not going to use silver, you should go to bronze. BTW how much is a warranty service call?

Re: Silver-less solder questions

shultz_1978
Have you ever noticed how old timers don't like to change what they know works. Some times there is a very good resin for it.

 Just sayin
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Silver-less solder questions

Correction.  The difference is $75/lb! We can use up to 5 lbs of solder in a month. I agree with sticking with what works. Just looking to save some money.

Re: Silver-less solder questions

TOOLS1 wrote
If you are not going to use silver, you should go to bronze. BTW how much is a warranty service call?
TOOLS
Technically speaking, $65+ parts. We never mark up parts for profit. Times are too tight to rick roll folks that hard. And you gotta be pretty much a complete jerk to get charged the full hourly rate.

We are successful because we treat people fair. They know we're not a big box company and we don't charge like one.