Stupid Question From a New CB750 Owner

biker_pastor
First Bike was a New VT750DC but I sold it in 2011 in order to raise funds. On Christmas day I while visiting the folks I noticed a "new" bike on dad's back porch. Long story short it belongs to my little brother who traded a 4-wheeler for it and knows very little about it. It is an 81 CB750? and needs some work.

by some work I mean it needs tires, a starter solenoid (watched him start it with a screwdriver across the poles of the current one), and fork seals. On top of that it is noisy (I am thinking timing chain?)

I paid $400 for it, Bad decision? I dont think so. But I am new to vintage motorcycle circles/ownership and I do not know how to tell which CB750 I have. There are no side covers and I did not have a lot of time to look at it (it was a Christmas gathering after all, and I was just excited to know I was buying a cycle after being without for four years).

How do I tell if it is a "K" "F" "C" etc? It is still on Dad's back porch right now and I dont have pics just yet sorry.

And My second question cafe style, bobber, or restore original? I know that this question is mostly a matter of preference but I would still like to know what you fellas think?

Re: Stupid Question From a New CB750 Owner

Well I myself really like bobbers, but like you said, it is personal preference. If your bike has spoke wheels it is a "K" model. If it has Comstar wheels it could be an "F" or a "C" model. The "F: has a disc rear brake, and the "C" has a drum. Hope this helps.

Re: Stupid Question From a New CB750 Owner

18Bravo
I thought I had a K model as that's how it was advertised. Then I found a sticker on the chain guard calling it an L. I probably should have figured that out from the big plastic "10th Anniversary" badges on it, but at the time I didn't know that made it an L.
At any rate, I'd go Cafe. I like my bobbers more in the style of Zero Engineering.  Can't get the same geometry with the good old CB.
I put the "G" in Jihad.

Re: Stupid Question From a New CB750 Owner

biker_pastor
Ok, so it is a "C". thanks Tools

Re: Stupid Question From a New CB750 Owner

Truck
My advice would be to do a Google search for 750's, look at what others have done and go with the style you like the best. As other guys on the site have shown there is an infinite amount of mods you can do to these bikes.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"