Swing Arm Angle

JonathanHValencia
Hey guys,

Installed a new oil reservoir from Carpy in California. I removed part of the sub frame because I was gonna go monoshock but couldn’t. I left most of it as is and put a small support brace on the side to support some until I get my monoshock done. I had 14.4 inch rear shocks from Cognito Moto. Is the swing arm angle I have going on now dangerous?

Re: Swing Arm Angle

Your swingarm angle is just fine as long as the chain is not eating into the top of the swingarm. However, your bracing is not doing much good. Your either going to bend the top tube where the brace is attached, or it will bend up further pulling the side tube into a "U" shape.

Re: Swing Arm Angle

JonathanHValencia
Should I just brace it more?

Re: Swing Arm Angle

You should run the brace from the shock mount down to where you cut the stock tube off. Honda had it there for a reason. That tubing is thin and will not take stress from the side like you have it.

Re: Swing Arm Angle

Dangerous?Not really IMO. Poor handling? Very likely.

You could move the upper shock mount closer to the where your diagonal brace intersects the upper frame rail. It would make the brace fully effective and also help to flatten the swingarm angle. You probably have a pretty steep steering neck angle at this point with the rear being raised like this which, coupled with the shallow offset of the modern triple trees, will make for a twitchy handling bike. Moving the upper shock mount closer to that intersect would actually cure a little of issues on one easy swoop.

Not to mention, I think more angle on the shocks would look better aesthetically. It would put the shock on the same angle as the other vertical frame tubes, which would make all the lines flow together nicely. But that's completely subjective and just my personal opinion.