The first Honda

motogrady
Administrator
Yes, there were a few previous.
But they were little more than bicycles with motors mounted on them.

The first, most would say, is the 1949 98cc Dream.

And here it is.

Re: The first Honda

I would like to see that. Where is it?

Re: The first Honda

motogrady
Administrator
I dunno.
I was just reading about the history of the
brand, and the guys that built it.
It showed up in one of the articles.

As a kid, a model T passed by old man Hondas home.  He ran after it down the dirt road until he could run no further.
Looking down as he gasped for air, he noticed a few drops of engine oil that had dripped from the engine.
On hands and knees, he put his nose to the road.

“To most, it was a black, smelly liquid.
To me, it smelled like perfume!”

He was a heck of a guy.

Re: The first Honda

motogrady

Kinda hard to figure it out, but it looks as though the next generation Honda was the 1951 E type.

This bike is the first to be exported, with demand so great they struggled to produce 160 units a day.

First improvement one sees is the rear
shocks, going from ridged frame and the motor,
from a single cylinder 2 stroke to a 150cc 4 stroke.
The clutch went from wet to dry, and when they added a 3rd gear sales hit 500 a month.

Re: The first Honda

That looks like a copy of, I think a DKW. A very COOL design.

Re: The first Honda

motogrady
Administrator

Yeah it does.

The 1930s Beemers also were very similar.

Almost Art Deco.

Re: The first Honda

Why hasn't someone done a custom bike with the frame cradling the tank like that?

Re: The first Honda

motogrady
Administrator
TOOLS1 wrote
Why hasn't someone done a custom bike with the frame cradling the tank like that?
TOOLS
Got me Tools.

Re: The first Honda

With the price of steel now it might be some time before it would happen here.