Used car shopping Bah

rich
So my wife had an accident and the little Chevy Cobalt suffered so much damage that it was totaled. She's fine (the wife). Really a minor indecent, just veered to far right on a spot of road that happened to not have any shoulder and a very steep embankment.

Here's where she left the road, you can see the trail the car left in the weeds:

And, here's the car:

She's been driving my truck ever since leaving me without a car. Once I got the check from the insurance I started shopping for a used car. Well it seems there are no cars in the Midwest that run or have less than 180,000 miles on them for less than $4,000. The crap that's out there is just amazing. I don't really mind a high-mileage car, but things are going to brake and I want to be able to fix them myself and not have to damn near pull an engine to just change a timing belt (most of the cars I looked at had timing belts that should have been changed at 100,000 miles, most were pushing over a 150,00 and not been changed).

So I started looking a "classics" and I found this 1976 MG B with less than 25,000 miles on it. The guy had listed for $4500 but after about a week, he had dropped the asking price to $3700. I got it for $3400 and you'd have to hit me with a 2X4 to get the grin off my face .

It's not the most practical car, I'll admit that. It does have some "Lucas" electrical gremlins with the temp and fuel gauge and it's a bit buzzy at 75MPH (4 speed, no overdrive). But damn, is it fun. I've always admired the Triumph Spitfire, GT6+, and TR6, but haven seen one for sale. So I think, this MGB is as close as I'll get.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Used car shopping Bah

Truck
Those Brit cars are mechanical and electrical nightmares, undersized, under powered but god they are cool!!! Nice find!
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Used car shopping Bah

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said.

Re: Used car shopping Bah

Hey Rich
If I remember right, you have a DOHC CB 750, could you help this guy out? http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/1981-cb750-custom-td4059206.html

Re: Used car shopping Bah

That is really cool, Rich!

Like most Murican's, I always thought the lil Brit cars were weaklings, too. Early this past summer I was doing a job for a guy that had a nice looking little Triumph. He had fiddled around with the topend of the engine a little, the exhaust, and had fitted some better parts to the suspension. I don't recall the details now, but it was nothing drastic or one-off. He took me for a very spirited ride on some backroads and impressed the heck outta me. It wasn't a 450+hp muscle car, but it definitely wasn't what I would consider underpowered. Just a different kind of power. We were absolutely flying around those corners.

I dig your style of ''classics you can work on''. Great philosophy.  Great find for the money,Rich. Happy for ya!

Re: Used car shopping Bah

rich
Yup, I wouldn't call it powerful, but yes, definitely spirited. It's been de-smogged and retrofitted with dual carbs.

So I think it's up a little from the 67HP that it started with, probably closer to the 100HP of the pre-smog versions.

Love the cockpit and the way the shifter clicks into gear.

I too wondered about reliability, but this thing is very agricultural (e.g. "Tractor parts"). It's stupid simple to work on. It has a modern coil and iridium plugs so it sputters to life easily.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Used car shopping Bah

That looks so cool!

Ever since the "cash for clunkers" crap, used cars are WAY overpriced. It'll come back around though, it'll just take a few years. Meanwhile, pizza delivery will really depend on tips!

Re: Used car shopping Bah

free2ride
jealous!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Used car shopping Bah

rich
My carbs were actually way older than the car itself and due for a rebuild. I ended up with a shiny set of "re manufactured"  SUs I found on ebay. Looks the business now. LOL.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K