Vance and Hines or MAC?

Johnnylevi
I think I need a new exhaust ( Got one from a cb750C I'm pretty sure does not fit on my F model. That or I am a complete idiot...its possible!)

So, heres the question:

Vance and Hines:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GV4RFC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TGC5XRRCX4P2

OR

MAC:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GVETM8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TGC5XRRCX4P2

Thanks, guys.
1981 SS with Kerker 4-1 exhaust and extremely attractive rider.

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Piute

     The Vance/Hines Doesn't say whether you can get to your drain plug or still use center stand,
   For that reason " I'd " go with the Mac,Like the use of the center stand,Many take it off,But can be put back on for use,easily I'm told.I'd be mostly concerned with filter clearance.
      I'm Building a longer Muff. for my bike Just to be a bit QUIETER at the new pad.With that in mind you could always add different Muff.to that Mac at any time after,My stk. collector points up just a bit makes it nice.

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

V&H looks more modern to me. The Mac has a lice classic look to it,but it wouldn't look out of place on a bike you wanted to go after the modern look with either. Price is always the deciding factor when I just can't decide. Unless one would have a definite performance advantage over the other.

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

seestheday
Has anyone seen a V&H on ones of these bikes?  I haven't, so I'm not sure if my concerns are valid.

I agree with Piute.  I'd be concerned about oil filter clearance and the ability to get the oil filter off without taking off the V&H pipes.  It would be too much of a hassle for me to have to take my pipes off and install new header washers every single time I needed to change the oil.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Johnnylevi
I definitely like the look of the V&H over the MAc, but like puite and sees were saying its not worth it if I have to take it off and get new exhaust gaskets every time i change the oil... And good way to go about it Shiny! I think I'll get the MAC seems to be the better option right now. $50 less
1981 SS with Kerker 4-1 exhaust and extremely attractive rider.

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

I like the classic looks of the MAC myself.

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

FastCletus
2 questions:

I was told I would need to change jets on my CB 750 F if I went to a Vance and Hines exhaust from stock?

Does anyone have a sound clip of what vance and hines sounds like or what a mac sounds like
@FastCletus552 aka Jimmy C, buildin' rides out of Napa CA
Current Build 1980 CB 750 F
Finished Build 1975 CB 500T Cafe Racer - SOLD
2002 Ducati 998 Biposto
2005 Rossi #46 Scooter

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Half-Caf
I have the Mac exhaust installed on my '80 750F. I really like the sound it makes -it's pretty low and throaty at idle and hits it's sweet spot at about 4k. I have some youtube vids that show it's sound pretty well (both in the first 10 seconds).

This one is a cold idle with a small rev

And this one has somewhat higher revs as I play in some snow :) Notice the sound change at about 4k
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Half Caf,ok....your first vid at the "birth my child!" mark,your video does a weird mirror image deal where your bars go backwardswhats up with that?

BTW,i bet people worry about the guy riding around talking to his motorcycle and making all sorts of hand gestures

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

motorhead715
Drag pipe haven't started it yet. Haven't started it yet but is going to be loud!

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

motorhead715

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

motorhead715

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

FastCletus
Bought the Mac 4 into one today.  Info says I dont need to rejet.  A fellow cb 750 owner says he needed to.  Any comment?
@FastCletus552 aka Jimmy C, buildin' rides out of Napa CA
Current Build 1980 CB 750 F
Finished Build 1975 CB 500T Cafe Racer - SOLD
2002 Ducati 998 Biposto
2005 Rossi #46 Scooter

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Half-Caf
I wouldn't get ahead of yourself with a rejet. From everything I've seen, jetting these bikes is basically a case-by-case scenario. I would just put it on first and see how it does -if things are off, you will at least know where you're at and how much needs to change.
And who knows, you may even find the performance improves
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Hoko
Johnny, neither of those links will fit a cb750f.   Oh duh!  Should have read closer and I would have seen you have an 81!   I was looking at the one for mine
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Lucky 1
Taking the exhaust off and putting it all back on for a oil filter change is a "no deal".
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Vance and Hines or MAC?

Lucky 1
If you have the stock intake system, the most you may need is a mixture screw adjustment.
No jet changes.
On a Roadstar Adventure.