What should I do with this?

Just picked this 77 K model up today at a yard sale. I got the bike, another engine, and a truck load of parts I have to go back for tomorrow. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

Re: What should I do with this?

rich
Save it for me! I need a SOHC 750. $600?
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: What should I do with this?

seestheday
Jeez, those things are literally everywhere around you aren't they?  <jealous>

I want a second bike for chopping, and I have been thinking SOHC but I can't seem to find one that is close to running for less than $3K.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: What should I do with this?

Gee Rich, you sure have gotten the bug. However I kind of like Sees price better

Re: What should I do with this?

rich
But he's talking Canadian $.

Which, due to a weak US dollar, is close to $2935 US. I'll bet he's including shipping and Canadian import taxes. If that's the case, you'd have to pay him $600 to give it to him
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: What should I do with this?

seestheday
Haha,

Apparently the import on the canadian side is surprisingly easy and not too expensive but the export on the American side is surprisingly difficult.

A friend imported a triumph rocket III from a dealer in chicago and did the process recently.

From: "rich [via Honda CB750'S]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:05:13 -0700 (PDT)
To: seestheday<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: What should I do with this?

But he's talking Canadian $.

Which, due to a weak US dollar, is close to $2935 US. I'll bet he's including shipping and Canadian import taxes. If that's the case, you'd have to pay him $600 to give it to him
79 CB 750K
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/What-should-I-do-with-this-tp4028890p4028963.html
To unsubscribe from What should I do with this?, click here.
NAML
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: What should I do with this?

rich
Low import duty and free health care? I'm moving. I'm English (mother) and French-Canadian (Father) so I should be right at home there. Weather can't be too much worse than it is here.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: What should I do with this?

seestheday
What are you talking about free health care?  I pay for health care for my family plus probably some other peoples.  It's called taxes.

I don't mind the high tax rate though.  Good public schools, universal health care, good road system.  Sure there is still government waste and some bad policies (e.g. the long gun registry that was finally canned recently) but all in all I don't have a lot to worry about.

Our economy is also being propped up by us being a big oil and resource exporter.  As a result of that, the economy isn't as bad as it could have been.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: What should I do with this?

rich
Sorry. I was trying to be funny about the health care thing. End of U.S. vs. Canada discussion.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/What-should-I-do-with-this-tp4028890p4028974.html
To unsubscribe from What should I do with this?, click here.
NAML

89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: What should I do with this?

seestheday
Haha, no problem.  No offence taken.  I have been accused of being a literalist, because in case you haven't read some of my other posts, I'm a pretty huge nerd and sometimes don't have the best social skills.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: What should I do with this?

Racingrobby
Tool you can drive that truck and drop that bike here for me . You dont need another bike don't you have enough.lol lol
1980 CB 750f ss  .... Elmira ,NY

Re: What should I do with this?

shultz_1978
OOO one more never hurt anything. You can put it in my garage. If you can get it to Salem Ohio.
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: What should I do with this?

MarkPBG
Didn't I read a post of yours a while back where you said you were "cut off" from bringing home any more orphaned bikes?
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: What should I do with this?

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
I still got a couple leaf spring plys left. I think you should gift it to me!!!
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: What should I do with this?

Look at it. Tools had already trimmed the seat down...he's building another cafe style bike. He really loves those cafes

Re: What should I do with this?

rich
Well I got my wish. Here it is on my truck:
Old Yeller

"Ol' Yeller" needs a lot of help. I put a battery in and got it to spin over by jumping the solenoid, starter button didn't do anything. It's probably not connected. Doesn't appear to have any spark and the carbs are frozen.

The tank has been lined, and the lining is starting to peel. It's probably trash because of that.

Just for giggles I put on a spare DOHC tank I had. It fit well. Even the side covers would work with a little trimming:

DOHC Tank

That's about all I've done. I think it'll run once the carbs are cleaned and the wiring sorted out. Good solid foundation for "Frankenbike".
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: What should I do with this?

I miss it already.

Re: What should I do with this?

Lucky 1
The 1977-78 models had the most improvements of all of the CB750 models.
About 21 changes overall.

I won't go into details but it is the best engine except the carbs.
I really dislike those EPA carbs. I am not against cleaning up the environment but what the EPA did to those was an after though not thought out very well at all.

If you could get some 69-70 carbs,  or any early model carbs it will have a lot more power.

If it was mine i would strip it down to the frame .

Start from there. Only put on good stuff.

Get rid of that big heavy #630 chain.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: What should I do with this?

I don't know if earlier carbs would really matter much. The only real epa change on the later carbs were pressed in jets and a determined person can actually tap those and screw in different jets. Dropping in 77 needles gives the clip positions back, but stacking washers will do the trick too. The accel pump is actually a very nice item since it shoots a strong stream of gas right into the throat.

After all, the F3 was faster than the 69 despite weighing a lot more. While the k8 was only a few tenths behind the 69. Put either on a diet and the 69 isn't so hot.

Before I would bother with overpriced 69/70 carbs, I would port the head and really open things up.

Re: What should I do with this?

rich
7 years later, Ol' Yeller is still sitting in my shed, untouched.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K