caliper pistons to be replaced?

borissytch
Hi there!
Here I need some advice from experienced people. Here is the story:

I was trying to change the brake fluid and noticed that the right caliper was stuck. (I 've never ridden this bike yet, and apparently she was sitting for a long time)
I took the caliper apart - the pistons were stuck, I took them out, cleaned them and polished with fine sandpaper. Still I feel some pitting left
I'll try to put up a picture here, 'cause I'm trying to estimate, buying new ones is costly, on the other hand, the front breaks are the part one's life depends on...

I haven't taken out the left caliper pistons, but am afraid they 're in the same shape...

Here is the question that seems to be stupid:
the front wheel is up (I just rebuilt the forks), it's supposed to be spinning freely by a hand, right? Mine wasn't, I guess because of the dragging brakes, right? That is not normal, right?

I would appreciate your opinions and comments on that
thanks in advance,

Alex
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: caliper pistons to be replaced?

borissytch

Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: caliper pistons to be replaced?

cdaiscool
That looks like you MIGHT be able to get away with it.

If you're not sure, what I ended up doing was filling the pits with JB Weld. Make sure you get it smooth with a razor blade when done, let sit, then sand smooth with the bore.

I only did it because I was having issues finding anything for my brakes. Wasn't going to start fighting with finding a new piston.
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: caliper pistons to be replaced?

Those are not too bad. I would use them. Also a little drag is common with disc breaks, but it should make it hard to turn the wheel.

Re: caliper pistons to be replaced?

  One of my front calliper was missing When I got it,so bought a used one and it looked bad ,those/yours look new compared new/used that I bought ,after trying the ugly1 was fine,the best looking 1 leaked ,So replaced that with new piston.
                                          Ya really never know.Fo Sho.

Re: caliper pistons to be replaced?

borissytch
sorry, I didn't get that: it should be hard to turn the wheel by hand or should not?
thanks!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: caliper pistons to be replaced?

borissytch
I finally got to my left caliper and here what its pistons look like:

left caliper pistons

the very top of the pistons damaged when we tried to pull them out with pliers, but that's the part that doesn't go inside the caliper anyway, I guess.

Having received few reassuring comments I am inclined to keep these pistons and buy only new seals for the calipers. Hope that'll work.

Thanks for your inputs!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83