carb problem maybe

jgautney
hey guys, new owner here, i have an 81 cb750.  I just can't get this thing to idle.  All carbs have been gone through.  I actually pulled them off today and pulled the bowls off them, all the seats are working properly and I got the throttle shaft adjusted on all the butterflys.  Evertime i turn the adjustement screw (big black ribbed head under the carbs) and get it to idle around 1000-1500 it just stalls out.  I have tried eveything to get this thing ot idle and it just stalls out.  Even tried it with the battery charger hooked to it.  THe fuel is good and the filter is new.  THe bike runs great, just when you let off the throttle fast it dies.  ANyone think this is a carb adjustment problem or something else.  Coils are also new.  I'm stuck and can't think of anything else? Any thoughts? THanks is advance

Re: carb problem maybe

rm56-2
Did you remove the pilot and main jets and make sure they are not
plugged? It sounds like and idle jet is blocked? Use a wire gage or a piece of fine wire off a brush. Pluck one out and poke it through. You said you went through the carbs...they were soaked in cleaner over night then blown out with compressed air? Some times when bikes sit for along time the carbs get gunked up. Right now I'm rebuilding a set of Kawasaki triple carbs that sat for 4 years with premix in them ooh yummy purple goo my favorite. Good luck
rm

Re: carb problem maybe

750Fourever
What do you mean when you say you adjusted the throttle shafts at the butterflys?  Did the bike run good before the carb work? If it did, then check, reset and reclean everything! Did you adjust the piolt screws? If not, set them all at about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out from bottom. Check for vacuum leaks. Check the float levels. Reclean the idle jets and passageways.
Good luck!