connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

Rick7r
ok, so this a rehash of the old topic on replacing vs. reusing connecting rod bolts on rebuilds. i'm doing my first complete rebuild on a 1972 cb750 k2. i'm replacing the bolts for peace of mind. needless to say, can't seem to find new bolts.
my first question is, i've searched around and heard that F model cb750 bolts fit as well. which i ended up buying from ebay, which were genuine honda parts. it ended up not fitting about 1 mm off.
second question pertains to the first. that particular part has part number 13213-KV0-000 (supposedly from roughly 1977 F model)  but when i look on partzilla, there is two option of ordering the previously mentioned part number versus 13213-410-003. is there a difference?
so then which model and year would be compatible?
any help is appreciated.

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

The 77-78 "F" model was a modified engine in an attempt to keep the CB 750 competitive against the Kawasaki KZ 1000 and the Suzuki DOHC 4 cylinder bikes until Honda could bring out their DOHC bikes. However I did not think they changed the rods in these engines. However since you have a K2, you should be looking for rod bolts from a "K" model. Have you checked with Cycle-X? If anyone would have new rod bolts, it would be them. Also the reason you are not finding them, is because they are reuseable, and there is no need for them to produce/stock new ones.

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

Yep. Reusable. 100%.

Am I having deja vu? Or...

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

I think he doubted us the first time.
TOOLS
P.S. I got curious, and the 77-78 "F" did use a different bolt. However I did find some NOS bolts on ebay (almost enough to replace all 8 of them, well 5 of them), but they ranged from $15.00- $25.00. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.TRS5&_nkw=13213-333-003&_sacat=0

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

Rick7r
I'm hardly in any position to doubt the gurus of this forum, merely the paranoia of a rebuild newbie like me. like him or hate him, but i heard this from this guy on youtube Hackaweek who put together this series of step by step engine rebuild for the 750. but i thoroughly read the shop manual and haynes book for the cb750 and you're right... they never mention that the bolt needs replacing.  there were some other forums that brought up the same topic on my search. but paranoia got the best of me.

but i might have over tighten one of them when checking the bearing with plastiguage, now that sends my paranoia to the roof. may have to take up Tools ebay query and purchase at least 2.

thanks for all the help. i'm sure you'll hear alot from me in the future as this build is well underway and lots to learn from my end.

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

Truck
I have seen the show you are talking about. A lot of good info but he tends to over do things, not necessarily a bad thing. While you can never go wrong with replacing bolts and nut, its not always needed.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

Unless you had a 1/2" breaker bar on them, I doubt you over-torqued them to the point of failure.

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

PR WIS
Old thread, same problem. I was told like Rick that the newer connecting rod bolts 77 and up would fit the earlier K models. I was also told that you do need to replace the bolts on a rebuild. Got mine from Ken at Cycle X, and they do not fit. Its the weekend, I will need to call Ken  Monday. I will post what he says. This seems to be a problem many people run into on a SOHC rebuild. Part number 13213-KOV-000

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

You do NOT need to replace them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: connecting rod bolts replacements.. need help

PR WIS
Tools, calm down. You all ready made your point before. This is for those who are changing them. I did not need to call Cycle X, I found my answer on a different forum. The 13213-KVO-000 bolts do fit. They are a Interference fit, and the con rod is tapered. When you torque them up they slide right in. Did mine last night , worked like a charm.