fork oil???

locomonza
Hi, I just have a question, Can I use ATF oil in my 74 cb750 forks???, and how much oil in each tube???
Thank you!!!
Alex

Re: fork oil???

I had the same question,and yes, you can use ATF    But you need to use Dexron lll    i dont know why    just what everyone says to use    Manual calls for 7-7.3 oz of oil  per leg    Hope this helps

Re: fork oil???

sgtslag
Honda recommended Dexron III (currently up to IV/V, backwards compatible; can use SuperTech brand, from Wal-Mart, to save even more $$$).  Fork oils need to be extremely consistent in their viscosity, regardless of temperature -- they have to be super-stable.  If you buy fork oil, it is quite expensive, very highly refined (hence the high price tag...), and extremely stable, under all conditions.

The Dexron ATF (around $3-$4 per quart) meets the same requirements (viscosity, temperature ranges, etc.), but it is considerably less expensive, more commonly available -- and it works.  With the Dexron ATF, you can afford to flush the forks annually, if desired; you can afford to add SeaFoam to the forks, to dissolve varnish, and other deposits, within the fork tubes.  With fork oil (around $15 per quart), it takes more cash, and most folks would prefer to put that money into the gas tank and ride...  Cheers!

Re: fork oil???

Use the ATF like the guys said, but the forks on your 74 only take 5.5 oz

Re: fork oil???

See,this is why new guys shouldn't post info Thanks for straightening me out ToolsSorry loco!!!

Re: fork oil???

locomonza
Thank you guys, i gonna change it today.
Thank you for you answer this board is very helpful!!!!!!

Re: fork oil???

Thanks! We try

Re: fork oil???

rusty vango
aah youre probably right about that .as for me i just bought a 76 cb750-f ss basket case.its my 7th one. and i dont post opinions only facts backed up by my service manuals or expierience.thank you very much

Re: fork oil???

Daddyman
Ok who forgot to mention the cap on the top of the fork will shoot out and scare the crap out of ya?????
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: fork oil???

I thought about it...but wheres the fun in that?