front of engine oil leak

lobster
Oil coming from front of engine, just under exhaust manifolds.

I'm thinking head gasket or valve cover. That means I have to remove the engine,

correct.
Monrovia California
1978 CB 750F
1964 305 CA77

Re: front of engine oil leak

Rich Ard
That's right, crustacean.
i got wiring loose inside my head :: my 450 K5 build thread :: my XV920 build thread

Re: front of engine oil leak

     ,Has it just started,how bad is it
      Mine leaks but just a bit needs wipe ing evey other week
       more comes from my crank breather

                           NOW of course THERE NOT SUPPOSE TO LEAK there

Re: front of engine oil leak

DOHC or SOHC. If it is a SOHC,it could be the sealing ''nickels'' under the cam towers leaking. That would require getting the valve cover off,but not necessarily removing the engine.

Re: front of engine oil leak

lobster
About a quart a day, I can live with it for now.
Have carb. issues I need to address first.

Thanks for the reply Piute.
Monrovia California
1978 CB 750F
1964 305 CA77

Re: front of engine oil leak

lobster
It is a single, and that sounds promising.
Thank you Sir.
Monrovia California
1978 CB 750F
1964 305 CA77

Re: front of engine oil leak

I would cut the frame rails above the engine for clearance to remove the valve cover myself. Shiny has a simple way of reattaching it on the "Water Buffalo"  thread.

Re: front of engine oil leak

lobster
Uncharted waters for me Tools. sounds dangerous. Any way I can remove Valve Covers without
Butchering the frame.

Oh and by the way that master cylinder I got from you worked perfectly. I didn't even have to rebuild it.

Thanks again,

Lobster
Monrovia California
1978 CB 750F
1964 305 CA77

Re: front of engine oil leak

COOL! I had even forgotten about it.
The only other way to remove the valve cover is to remove the engine, and it is a B!@#$%^.

Re: front of engine oil leak

I was gonna suggest the rope between the fins trick,but if you're losing a quart a day then it definitely needs attention. Wow,thats alot of oil!

Re: front of engine oil leak

Piute
shinyribs wrote
I was gonna suggest the rope between the fins trick,but if you're losing a quart a day then it definitely needs attention. Wow,thats alot of oil!
   Thats no leak THATS A oil field
    I'd say my leaks about a may-be 1/4 a month started during June.

Re: front of engine oil leak

lobster
Did I say quart? I meant pint. It seems to have slowed,if that's possible.

Oh well that Motor coming out anyway. You'll be hearing from me.

Thanks for the help Gents.
Monrovia California
1978 CB 750F
1964 305 CA77

Re: front of engine oil leak

Fast Fred The Father Figure
DOHC? If it is you may be screwed. A loose forward cam chain will eventually eat through the cylinder block. This happened to my '79. The only solution is to replace the chain and the tensioner shoe and then figure out how to plug the hole. Weld on casting isn't the best; perhaps epoxy. I bought a used cylinder block from a junkie. Any repair will require splitting the case.

Good Luck!