it didnt get that cold did it?

wes

it didnt get that cold did it?

wes
finally get a lil time to spend with my bike. actually the first time in almost 3 months. had to charge battery. i did expect that. but when i turned the fuel cock on, gas started leakin purty heavy from it. and then began coming out from under the carbs. we did have a 2 nights a few weeks ago that the temps got in the mid 20s. the bike is under a carport wraped good in a tarp. i didnt have any problems last winter. we dont get much winter here in s. c. i didnt think gas would freeze. i only put  ethanol free gas in it. i am hoping that its just a gasket in the petcock and a leaking fuel line. here is the QUESTION. does anybody think there could be anthing other than that. some of you yankees could give this poor southern boy a tip or two. i wont get to mess with it untill tonight or in the mornin.
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: it didnt get that cold did it?

Need to determine where the gas "under the carbs" is coming from.  Is it the overflow tube(s) on the carbs? The fuel line feeding the fuel rail for the carbs? From the petcock, dripping outside the fuel line? Is it gas?

If it's coming from the overflow tubes, chances are the floats are not closing all the way.  This could be as simple as tapping on the side of the carbs with a hammer handle to free them up. It might also be due to a bit of crud between the needle and seat for the float.  You'll need to pull the carbs, and the carb bowls to verify that.

If it's coming from the fuel rail, you'll probably need to pull the carb bank and take apart the fuel rails.  There are some O-rings to seal up the pieces.  Check them all, and replace the suspect ones.

If it's coming from the petcock or the fuel line, tighten and/or replace as needed.  It might not hurt to run an in-line fuel filter, to keep dirt out of the carbs.  Cheap insurance. Look for either a paper or brass element, with 1/4" inlet and outlet tubes.  I got mine at NAPA for about $6.

I hope this helps.

Re: it didnt get that cold did it?

seestheday
Gas doesn't freeze until it gets way below temperatures you find naturally on earth. It wasn't your gas freezing. Water that made its way into the tank could freeze though.

I have personally driven a car when it was -40 outside. Car started fine after sitting outside for days.

I did a little googling and apparently the freezing point of gas is around -97 F.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: it didnt get that cold did it?

    Nice to know your still out there Wes
  Get that baby running right and
   don't get her pissed off any more by riding her

Re: it didnt get that cold did it?

motogrady
Administrator

Might try tapping on them lightly,  gas off, gas on, a few times.
try to loosen whatever is keeping that float bowl valve from
seating.

You're prob gonna have to clean them.