need advice for a friend no 5th gear

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

I have never heard of a 4 speed CB 750. Maybe he has a bent shift fork?

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Piute
Yep bet his(shift) dog broke a bone,The shifting shaft going into the tranny can be bent,not allowing full travel ,dam it could be bad maintenance ...piute..

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Can it be straightened or does it need replacing?

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

I would turn the engine over, and split the cases to check it out.

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Whoa! Okay,nevermind.Over my head.I'm still asking questions about wheels...splitting cases?!?! Give me a few more months

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

 Now one of the others may say N no off the top but there should be A adjustment inside or it's got a tensioner,theres 3 "shift forks",and the book shows that you can get to the shift mechanism but thats it,just like a sporty,BUT can split cases without taking top-end off it says "not me"I've totaly rebuild a 5 spd.H.D. very simple 3 shafts,gear / compensating gear shift dogs,..Piute..

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Peterwh
The only way to get at the shift forks would be to take the motor out of the frame, turn it upside down and remove the lower crank case.  Then you would have to very  carefully check the shift shaft, the forks and the dogs on the gears for wear unless there was an obvious issue like a broken fork or dog.    Not a difficult job, but fairly daunting if you haven't gone that far before.

I'm wondering though, if it could be a problem with the external shifter mechanism which is easy to get at by removing the gear shift engine cover.  I would start there first but I'm interested to know what others think/have experienced.

Sorry for rambling but when I was 18 (seems like another life), I had a CB250 with the same problem, in that case, no fourth gear.  I never did fix it but I can't say I tried very hard.

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Thanks for the info guys.I'd like to help this guy as much as i can.Very limited knowledge on my part

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Peterwh
PS, there is no adjustment on the forks, or anything else inside the transmission.   The parts are either un-damaged, and in-spec, or they are not.  The only thing you can do about it, if they are not, is replace them.

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Okay.Thanks for the info guys.I hate not being able to fix it for him,but at least we know what direction to go now.Only other guy i know that has a cb750,local,cant wait to go riding with him

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Piute
  Winters Coming,Flip that baby over and learn whats in there 1st hand,Seems most of it is time,"You can Do it Man"
    After you get yours back to gether ,R&R wont be a prob....Piute N Judose....

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

your right about that   no better way to learn than to just dive in.

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Peterwh
If you want a cheap insurance policy there's a set of shifter forks and a shifter drum on eBay for $37. Ends around noon Eastern time today

Re: need advice for a friend no 5th gear

Piute
 Yeh ! Have that wheel guy pick that up off the flea if he can ,hold onto them for when you start digging,
 at that price and there good,some-one else may need n buy.That time of year plenty will be digging .
   Not knowing much hope it's not me,YET! Every -ones tym will come if you ride them...Piute...