need hel Re-wiring my 1980 cb750

edwinmedina28
This post was updated on .
I want to re-wire my 1980 cb750. The promblem is that I'm not that smart when it comes to the whole wiring game (by not that smart I mean fucking illiterate when it comes to the diagrams). I want to do a minimalist wiring approach when it comes to it. I don't want to have the instrument panel at all (going for the bobber look) and not turn signals. So i basicly just want the starter, headlight, horn and brake light. Is there any diagram I can get to show me just that? Also, what kind of wire do I need to buy (I'm not much of an electricon but I do like to get my hands dirty)? I also want to know if its at all possible to move the battery box somewhere else so that i can take the side panels off and have a more open bike?

On another subject all together, I want to put a wider tire on the back. I was joking around with putting a 300 tire in the back but thought it might look good. Maybe something a little smaller. I want fat front and back tires. How big can i go without taking the front forks off and is there a conversion kit that I can put on in my garage without doing too much cutting (and by too much I mean barley any) for the rear tire?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing back from you guys.

Re: need hel Re-wiring my 1980 cb750

sgtslag
I'd suggest finding a friend familiar with wiring -- it is too difficult to explain on a forum, and the Starter circuit requires some heavy-duty wiring, as the Starter Motor draws ten's of Amps when turning over the engine.  The Starter also utilizes a relay to control the heavy current draw, indirectly; if wired wrong, it could lead to a fire, very quickly...

The only place available to move the Battery would be the tail area, requiring longer cables.  Some folks here have used a smaller Battery, in the original location; since you are planning on removing the signal lights, this is a possibility as there will be less draw upon the Battery, and the Alternator.

With regards to the back end, a lot of modification will be required before you can put a fat tire on it, as the bike was designed for a relatively narrow tire, and there just is not room for a really wide tire.  It is not impossible, but I suspect it will require cutting and welding of the swing arm, removal of the rear fender, and cutting and welding of the frame to make room by moving the shocks out farther.  Good luck!  Cheers!

Re: need hel Re-wiring my 1980 cb750

edwinmedina28
so i got the wiring done with a friend of mine who knew more about wiring than i did, but i did learn a lot. now its cleaner.