out of place chunk of something

lonegroover

Happy new year to everyone
I have previously posted about my 1979 cb750kz and its second lease of life
i still enjoy taking it out for rides in my local area
recently i noticed some oil misting on the oil pan area so drain oil and remove the pan to check it out.
found this u shape metal object in the pan under where the oil pick up strainer is positioned
can anyone ID this so i can find out what to do about finding and fixing the issue
regards from south west OZ

Re: out of place chunk of something

I do not recognize it, but I will be tearing a DOHC engine down later this week and will keep an eye out for anything that looks like that.

Re: out of place chunk of something

lonegroover

Well i believe i have located where the mystery piece of metal originated from.
as circled in the attached image there appears to be part of the very top of the rear cam chain guide /tensioner missing and first indications are it has not damaged the rest of cam chains/guides/ tensioners on the way down to the sump.
i have rotated the engine several times and can find no other damage to chains/gears/ crankshaft
that piece of metal does have some markings on to suggest being munched by a rotating engine component however.
previous to posting about this i already had the engine out on a stand and stripped down to enable lower case removal which revealed no obvious signs of damage to the bottom end.
did not see any anything when using inspection camera either.
so today as already stated i believe it has parted ways with the top of the guide for reasons unknown and going back to the assembly process in 2012 i have one saved image which shows that guide top intact.
i have always followed the maintenance requirements and suggestions from sites such as this one for keeping on top of adjustments and checks so this has me concerned now
oh well more investigating to be done now
Regards to the site

Re: out of place chunk of something

This is interesting! Please keep us posted as to what you find.

Re: out of place chunk of something

If it was a v45, I'd almost say it came from the seat latch. I have a part the moves and it looks an awful lot like that.

Re: out of place chunk of something

You are correct, that is where that piece came from.

Re: out of place chunk of something

lonegroover
After reassembling the honda in the last week of january and firing it up with no nasty sounds or vibes the mystery of how the chunk came off the cam chain tensioner/ guide remains that
i went for a 3 hour ride  last weekend and the bike was running great with no problems
i am pretty sure i have never had a v45 in my collection of things that pile up in garages so that seat thingy is interesting theory
i only had a 2006 zx12r kawasaki and a 2016 yamaha mt10 sharing floor space with the cb so parts migration was non existent
which leads me to this , the mt10 had around 160 ponies so now i want a ducati v4 streetfighter which they say has 200 of these ponies to see if the hype is real
ah well i just happy to have 41 year old honda to ride around on because i enjoy the scenery and i have yet to cross paths with another one
stay upright fellow cb,ers

Re: out of place chunk of something

All I know about the new Ducati's is they are fast and noisy. Last fall my buddy and I were riding the Tail of The Dragon and ran across some guys riding new Super Dukes. They were taking a lot of rest stops so we kept meeting up with them. At one point we had just rounded a corner and sen them coming around in our mirrors. We happened to be on one of the few long straights so we hammered down on our bikes. The Super Dukes could not catch us until we hit the curves again. My buddy had his Garman in his pocket and after the ride, it said he had hit a top speed of 123 MPH. I was riding my 1984 V65 Saber and my buddy was on a first-gen V Max.