sad day

free2ride
just got a call from my mechanic [because I don't have the space, the aptitude, or the ability to do a lot of work myself].

work needed: new seals and gaskets because the thing is leaking like a son-of-a-gun, rebuilding of starter because it doesn't start / turn over though it makes a lot of noise, new rear tire, plus odds and sods. I don't think I can afford to get the work done -- and he's an inexpensive mechanic! so it looks as though my 80CBK will be retired, partsed, or sold.

just wanted to have someone cry with me, that's all. final decision to come, but likely has been made.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: sad day

Fix the starter and replace the tire. Then add oil as needed. Ride and enjoy.
TOOLS
P.S. The starter drive is not that hard to replace. You can get all new drive units for around $35.00 now.

Re: sad day

free2ride
TOOLS1 wrote
The starter drive is not that hard to replace.
point me in the direction of instructions . . . I'd rather ride than walk!

ps: I'm looking . . .
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: sad day

First thing is to download the factory service manual, and find the parts fich at Partzilla, and study them to familiarize yourself with the starter clutch.
Here is the parts fich from partzilla https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1979/cb750l-a/starter-motor you will probably need #5, #6, and #20 to repair your starter, and maybe #4. You will also need the gasket for the cover.
Here is a kit I found on e-bay, but I know there are complete units available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CB750-CB900-CX500-GL-select-76-83-Starter-Clutch-Repair-Kit-91101-516-000A/232159213302?hash=item360dc476f6:g:AHAAAOSwiONYPf-z:sc:USPSFirstClass!64138!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Re: sad day

free2ride
thanks. once it warms up a bit [it's gone UP to +5F this week] I'll start thinking about moving the bike.

ya, I know, you've got it bad in KC too . . . but we had a week of -15/-20 daytime temps . . . I'm barely out of hibernation mode.

the groundhog is frozen in his hole
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: sad day

And I thought the -3* we had this morning was bad. This weather is just not right for KC. It hardly ever gets this cold here.

Re: sad day

Half-Caf
Free, I know this post is a bit old, but I was wondering if you ever took any steps to get the bike back up and running (I am currently in the same process myself).

I ask because I have a few DOHC starters laying around if you are interested. I could certainly make you a deal.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: sad day

free2ride
Half-Caf wrote
I was wondering if you ever took any steps to get the bike back up and running (I am currently in the same process myself).

I ask because I have a few DOHC starters laying around if you are interested. I could certainly make you a deal.
thanks for asking. I'm on the thing -- finally. decent weather -- finally!

I'm keeping my eyes on the oil level; I haven't done a lot of highway riding [life is nuts] so it hasn't been pushing too much out.

and the starter . . . hasn't acted up at all since I've taken it outside. strange -- but I think it heard the veiled threat of the scrap heap ["no disassemble!" -- if you know the reference] and has been perfect.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: sad day

free2ride wrote