snapped a bolt

cheesehead
I have an oil leak coming from my left crankcase. I ordered a new bottom end gasket set yesterday. In the meantime I wondered if I tightened it a half turn or so if it may help. About a half turn on one of the blots and SNAP. SON OF A &#*$*Q#! So ya, how bad is this? It doesnt seem to be leaking from the hole any more than it was and I just ordered 2 new bolts for it. Can I ride it like this until my bolts and gaskets arrive? And how damn hard is it going to be to get the piece of bolt out? Ugh, I shouldn't have messed with it I guess.

1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: snapped a bolt

cheesehead
Actually, I was about to order new bolts, but which one is it? 16? 17? Can I get them cheaper somewhere else? $2.00 for a bolt is acceptable but shipping is $10 when they could just put a bolt in an envelope with a $0.42 stamp lol.

Man, I am annoyed right now. I just got a babysitter for the first time in 2 weeks and this happens. I am going out for a ride anyway, screw it.
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: snapped a bolt

cheesehead
But seriously, if anyone can tell me/find me the exact bolt I need I will order it immediately. Even if it's the $14 I gotta pay from the link I provided.
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: snapped a bolt

cheesehead
ok, now that I have cooled off and am less angry, I've decided to just get my bolts from my local honda shop, get all my gaskets, etc., and just grab an extra quart of the rotella I used and top it off as needed/if necessary for the rest of the season and take it apart/get the snapped bolt out, etc. over the winter when I will already be doing some upgrading and fine tuning on it along with my general off-season maintenance.
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: snapped a bolt

I just go the the locale (well stocked) hardware store, and get flanged bolts. Look just like the bolts Honda used. If the threads are sticking out it might not be hard to remove. You might be able to take a pick, and turn it out. I would try to remove it ASAP before the threads could corrode.

Re: snapped a bolt

If its dribbling oil i wouldnt think that it could corrode too much.  JMO

Re: snapped a bolt

cheesehead
Just took off the crankcase cover and the bolt was flush, so I couldn't grab it with pliers. LUCKILY, I reached in and screwed it out just enough with my fingernails to grab it and screw it right out! Yaaaaaaaaaa buddy!!
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: snapped a bolt

cheesehead
Now off to autozone for some oil!
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: snapped a bolt

Piute
  was hopping you would get as luckky as I did ,with acouple of bolts / screws.now this speedo...Piute...

Re: snapped a bolt

cheesehead
Went from leaking all over my cardboard that I laid down to not a single drop. The cheap eBay gasket I bought fit like a glove. The hand-polished allen case bolts from eBay fit even better. The guy at autozone talked me into buying some black gasket maker for an extra seal but I didn't use it, and it wasn't needed. Now finally time for real modifying that isn't just to repair some annoying issue. Think I'm going to go turn signals first then go from there. I would also like to get a new speedometer setup, as my odometer rolls back to 4000 miles everytime it hits 4099 and it's annoying and a little ugly. Any ideas? Paint and exhaust will be next, maybe bars and grips (again, more permanent this time rather than what was laying in my garage to replace the bent bars. Do drag bars work?? hmmm..
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: snapped a bolt

I'm glad you got it fixed.  God was surely smiling on you: turning the bolt out with your fingernails.  Nice. :-)

Congratulations!  Now go put some miles on it, and then mod it to your heart's content.  Share some pictures with us as your work progresses?

Re: snapped a bolt

rusty vango
utxj4theres a wonderful product i use called "PB blaster", it really works and sometimes a heat gun to speed things along

Re: snapped a bolt

And after all this, you sold the bike

Re: snapped a bolt

Piute
And after all this, you sold the bike
TOOLS

Re: snapped a bolt

Not only that...he bought a Suzu... i cant even say it....