speedo slowing at higher speeds

dave
my cb750c has a speedo that seems fine till i 80klms an hour then seems to not climb with the rpm increase,somewhere around 4000rpm.What can slow the cable?old grease in it?

Re: speedo slowing at higher speeds

Two or three things could cause this:  The drive at your front wheel, the cable itself, or the speedo head.  Lack of lubrication for the speedo cable is your prime suspect.  The FSM does mention needing to "grease" the speedo cable and speedo drive, but I didn't see any details on that. Maybe a Google search on speedometer oil/oiling may help.  I'll check my Haynes manual and update this posting.

Second would be the speedo itself.  There is a spring and wheel system which translates the rotation of the cable into the swing of your speedo needle.  Either the mechanism needs a little TLC (lubrication, adjustment) or there's something keeping the needle from swinging past your 80kph reading.

PS:  Maybe your bike won't go any faster than 80KPH?   You have had a few problems with it lately... Just teasing you.  I'm sure your bike is going faster than that, and there's a legitimate problem with your speedo.